Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deveals
Level 7

Roku Premier + buffering for Netflix

Hello and good day!  I have a Roku Premier + (model # 4630X) and have been enjoying for almost a year.  However, I noticed the Netflix stream regularly buffers; after checking network speeds:
1. Network is 120 mbs
2. Roku is approx. 89s
3. Netflix is approx. 29 mbs 

Seems like plenty of network capacity, but the buffer for Netflix is becoming more regular, but not for Amazon Prime nor Redbox?  Any suggestions?

Thanks. Danny.
0 Kudos
15 Replies
atc98092
Level 15

Re: Roku Premier + buffering for Netflix

I had an issue with Netflix in the past, and after my ISP investigated (after I contacted my state's Attorney General's office) they found that something outside the ISP network that was throttling my Netflix access. They had no control over it, and eventually the problem went away. It didn't cause buffering, but did make 4K streaming impossible, and often I couldn't even get 720. So it's totally possible that there's a network issue that is only impacting Netflix. But I don't believe there's anything specific to the Premiere that is causing a problem. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
nolaghost
Level 7

I have a Roku Ultra 4640R model that does the same thing with Netflix. Also works fine with Amazon Prime, but buffers on Netflix and sometimes chokes my router WiFi. I have a Netgear X10, R9000 router that is very powerful and I'm about 30 feet away from it in a regular apartment. Again, this is only happening with Netflix.
Any recommendations other thank hard-wiring? I used to have this same problem with an older Roku and only wiring it directly to the router fixed the issue. I hope I don't have to this time.

PS. I only have about 4-6 devices connected to my router (phone, computer e.t.c.). Internet speed is 100Mbps. When I do Roku connection test, it shows "Excellent" for WiFi connection status and always above 50Mbps for internet. Roku is connected to an HD 1080p projector. 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tajson
Level 8

"nolaghost" wrote:
I used to have this same problem with an older Roku and only wiring it directly to the router fixed the issue. I hope I don't have to this time.

Have you turned on WMM yet?
0 Kudos
nolaghost
Level 7

"Tajson" wrote:
"nolaghost" wrote:
I used to have this same problem with an older Roku and only wiring it directly to the router fixed the issue. I hope I don't have to this time.

Have you turned on WMM yet?

Can't remember. Will check tonight. Good point though. Thank you Tajson!
Still a bit weird that it only happens with Netflix and not other Roku channels.
0 Kudos
Tajson
Level 8

"nolaghost" wrote:
Still a bit weird that it only happens with Netflix and not other Roku channels.

Well, yes along with it is only an issue on wifi and not wired. But if WMM is disabled, your wifi is limited to 54Mbps on your router as far I recall.
0 Kudos
nolaghost
Level 7

"Tajson" wrote:
"nolaghost" wrote:

Well, yes along with it is only an issue on wifi and not wired. But if WMM is disabled, your wifi is limited to 54Mbps on your router as far I recall.

WMM was enabled on the router, but Dynamic QoS was not. Netgear claims that it's best to keep it enabled if your download speed is below 300Mb. We'll see if it helps any.
Otherwise, I guess I'll either try some other device like Apple TV or wire Roku. Was really hoping to not deal with wires this day and age though.
0 Kudos
Tajson
Level 8

"nolaghost" wrote:
WMM was enabled on the router, but Dynamic QoS was not. Netgear claims that it's best to keep it enabled if your download speed is below 300Mb. We'll see if it helps any.
Otherwise, I guess I'll either try some other device like Apple TV or wire Roku. Was really hoping to not deal with wires this day and age though.

We can debate the threshold of 100-200-300 Mbps of WMM/QoS/NAT boosting that is effective but if it does not work, flip the option the other way since it is hardware related in the router.
0 Kudos
nolaghost
Level 7

Well, enabling QoS didn't really do anything. Wired it today. We'll see what happens now. 
0 Kudos
nolaghost
Level 7

Just an update. 
Wired my Roku and it performs a little better, but I'm still having issues with buffering on Netflix, a couple of times during a movie or a show. When I periodically check connection speed from Roku, it's showing wired Internet connection between 72Mbps and 78Mbps....plenty for HD 1080p.
Next, going to try to borrow an Apple TV from a friend and see if it's any different.
0 Kudos