Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku Premier and Disney + in Australia

Jump to solution

I recently bought a Roku Ultra for use in Australia.
I'm sure it’s a great device in the US and Canada and possibly elsewhere.

Much of its functionality is disabled (or not available/enabled, if you prefer, in Australia).

This includes failure of voice activation on the remote control, no access to local channels such as Disney plus or STAN, being barred from the Roku channel and not being able to download the Roku remote control app on my iPhone. (All geo-blocked)

All of this has meant a costly purchase with limited utility.

Whilst links to streaming services might be controlled by the vendor, e.g. Disney, voice activation of the remote, and I suspect, access the Roku channel is a Roku decision.

My advice to Australians looking to purchase: Avoid until Australia features on Roku's priority list and buy products that are supported locally.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

@GVA2 wrote:

I recently bought a Roku Ultra for use in Australia.
I'm sure it’s a great device in the US and Canada and possibly elsewhere.

Much of its functionality is disabled (or not available/enabled, if you prefer, in Australia).

This includes failure of voice activation on the remote control, no access to local channels such as Disney plus or STAN, being barred from the Roku channel and not being able to download the Roku remote control app on my iPhone. (All geo-blocked)

All of this has meant a costly purchase with limited utility.

Whilst links to streaming services might be controlled by the vendor, e.g. Disney, voice activation of the remote, and I suspect, access the Roku channel is a Roku decision.

My advice to Australians looking to purchase: Avoid until Australia features on Roku's priority list and buy products that are supported locally.

It isn't that the voice activation is geo-blocked, it's that it only works with channels that permit its use. If you don't have such a channel available, then there's nothing that can be done. 

Other than The Roku Channel, Roku themselves have no control over what channel is available in what geographic location. I am sure they would prefer that everything was available everywhere, but I'm also sure that licensing issues is what controls where such content is available. Disney is the reason that D+ isn't available for a Roku player in Australia, not Roku. I don't know what STAN is, but assuming it's a service available in your country then they have to develop a channel for the Roku. Roku doesn't build channels for other services. Google supplies the YouTube channel, Amazon the Prime Video and Prime Music channels, etc.  

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

To be fair, the Roku app availability in the various app stores is entirely Roku. Being in New Zealand I can't download the app for my Android phone as it is not available in my region, according to the Play Store. 

As I understand it the voice control relies on a phone app, so unless you can get the app you can't use voice control regardless of channel support.

0 Kudos