Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jamski
Level 7

Roku Player Still Streaming YouTube TV When TV is Off?

Just wondering since YouTubeTV has a 3-stream limit, if I were to shut off my TV while still "streaming" content over the Roku (any model), is the Roku smart enough to eventually realize the TV is off and shut down the YouTube TV app?  Or, will it just continue to stream indefinitely, taking up one of my streams?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
ghb51
Level 8

Re: Roku Player Still Streaming YouTube TV When TV is Off?

On my Roku 3 and Roku Express I see a message asking if I'm still watching when my tv is turned off while streaming YouTube tv (meaning I see the message when I eventually turn the tv back on). This is from falling asleep in front of the tv at night, so I'm not sure how long it is before the message appears or if YouTube tv has a time limit set where it will eventually exit the app, but either way I assume the streaming is stopped once the message appears.
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 10

"jamski" wrote:
Just wondering since YouTubeTV has a 3-stream limit, if I were to shut off my TV while still "streaming" content over the Roku (any model), is the Roku smart enough to eventually realize the TV is off and shut down the YouTube TV app?  Or, will it just continue to stream indefinitely, taking up one of my streams?

It will continue streaming until either you or the channel provider tells it to stop.  this is what prompted Netflix and others to create a "Are you still watching" splash screen.
Press home before turning off your TV.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"twiceover" wrote:
Press home before turning off your TV.

This! This! A thousand times this!
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 8

Agreed about pressing Home, but, failing that, doesn't YouTube (and other channels) consider the stream stopped once the "are you still watching" message appears?
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"ghb51" wrote:
Agreed about pressing Home, but, failing that, doesn't YouTube (and other channels) consider the stream stopped once the "are you still watching" message appears?

Yes, however long that is. If you don't hit Home, and you end up going over your monthly data cap, that's on you. As long as you are the one paying the ISP bill, it's only a problem if you care.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
stewsucher
Level 7

This would be a game changing feature.
0 Kudos
2pints
Level 7

Capped data on standard isp Contracts is something that is extremely rare these days, if you are on a capped data contract, you should move to an alternative ISP ( there's plenty of choice with ISPs/phone providers)
 You should be able to get a basic unlimited ADSL contract ( speeds about 12mb ) for £18/month, Fibre ( speeds about 30mb) for £24/month upto 80mb fibre for £28/month and full fibre ( where/if available) for £40/month
 Stream to your hearts content - data caps/limits are a thing of the past.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

"2pints" wrote:
Capped data on standard isp Contracts is something that is extremely rare these days, if you are on a capped data contract, you should move to an alternative ISP ( there's plenty of choice with ISPs/phone providers)
 You should be able to get a basic unlimited ADSL contract ( speeds about 12mb ) for £18/month, Fibre ( speeds about 30mb) for £24/month upto 80mb fibre for £28/month and full fibre ( where/if available) for £40/month
 Stream to your hearts content - data caps/limits are a thing of the past.

Maybe in places other than America.. I live in the USA, but in an area where unlimited data is the norm. In other areas, especially less populated areas, they don't have that luxury.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
2pints
Level 7

In the UK, phone infrastructure companies such as British Telecom have been forced to allow other companies access to their  networks to allow so called free  market  competition and prevent a monopoly from existing.
 The effect has been for the main incumbent, British Telecom to be split up into two companies, BT Retail, and BT Wholesale ( now called 'openreach)
Openreach own and maintain the hardware side of things ( the cables/wires/ducts/poles/exchanges etc) who then allow other companies to access the infrastructure to provide their own services over.
 There are also regulatory controls in place to ensure that openreach treat all providers the same, and likewise there are ( some) wholesale price controls in place to ensure that all companies are playing on a level  playing field
 So for a vast majority of people in the UK there is a good choice of phone/internet companies all competing with each other driving down costs

I'm surprised that similar things dont appear to exist n the USA, for example  where AT&T own the infrastructure they dont appear to have much in the way of wholesale access for other companies to use at a fair price - unless i'm mistaken.
0 Kudos