Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
twiceover
Level 13

Re: Roku Player Still Streaming YouTube TV When TV is Off?

"jeffrok" wrote:
"2pints" wrote:
Capped data on standard isp Contracts is something that is extremely rare these days, if you are on a capped data contract, you should move to an alternative ISP ( there's plenty of choice with ISPs/phone providers)
 You should be able to get a basic unlimited ADSL contract ( speeds about 12mb ) for £18/month, Fibre ( speeds about 30mb) for £24/month upto 80mb fibre for £28/month and full fibre ( where/if available) for £40/month
 Stream to your hearts content - data caps/limits are a thing of the past.

Maybe in places other than America.. I live in the USA, but in an area where unlimited data is the norm.  In other areas, especially less populated areas, they don't have that luxury.

I live in Small Town USA, I have 5 ISP options.  It's mostly large cities that have issues as local governments have given incentives to large carriers to prevent competition.
0 Kudos
ClancyCat
Level 9

"twiceover" wrote:
"jeffrok" wrote:
"2pints" wrote:
Capped data on standard isp Contracts is something that is extremely rare these days, if you are on a capped data contract, you should move to an alternative ISP ( there's plenty of choice with ISPs/phone providers)
 You should be able to get a basic unlimited ADSL contract ( speeds about 12mb ) for £18/month, Fibre ( speeds about 30mb) for £24/month upto 80mb fibre for £28/month and full fibre ( where/if available) for £40/month
 Stream to your hearts content - data caps/limits are a thing of the past.

Maybe in places other than America.. I live in the USA, but in an area where unlimited data is the norm.  In other areas, especially less populated areas, they don't have that luxury.

I live in Small Town USA, I have 5 ISP options.  It's mostly large cities that have issues as local governments have given incentives to large carriers to prevent competition.

I live in Small Town USA and have ONE realistic option for an ISP directly tied to the phone company.  The other options have up/download limits (satellite) that are untenable for anyone with any realistic online usage.  Five options? Dang, that's not a small town, not by my standards.

ClancyCat
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 13

"ClancyCat" wrote:
I live in Small Town USA and have ONE realistic option for an ISP directly tied to the phone company.  The other options have up/download limits (satellite) that are untenable for anyone with any realistic online usage.  Five options? Dang, that's not a small town, not by my standards.

ClancyCat

I'd be surprised if that is the case.  Most places at least have a telephone provider offering DSL, a cable provider offering well... cable, and a Satellite offering horrible satellite service.  I never said I had 5 viable options, I just said I have 5 options.  More than likely you have at least 3.
0 Kudos
ClancyCat
Level 9

@twiceover wrote:
"ClancyCat" wrote:

ClancyCat

I'd be surprised if that is the case.  Most places at least have a telephone provider offering DSL, a cable provider offering well... cable, and a Satellite offering horrible satellite service.  I never said I had 5 viable options, I just said I have 5 options.  More than likely you have at least 3.

Right.  I just made it up for fun.  Because I'm just hangin' out here on the used-to-be Roku forum for fun. Robot Indifferent

Cable hasn't been run to this area yet.  And satellite--yup, offers horrible service--although I'm not even sure it's available here.  Wasn't the last time I checked.  Airfibre may be coming to this neck of the woods soon---but they have a ton of very unhappy customers in the next geographic area over (not a town, so...)

Clancy

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Let me add to what @ClancyCat said. I have two viable options at my location: Comcast and AT&T. There are satellite options available nationwide, but the idea is to stream, I do not consider those viable options. And, if an option isn't a viable option, then it's not really an option. At least, it's not even considered as an option. So, my real options are two: Comcast (fast) or AT&T (max 3 mbps at my location).

Now, there is a family member that has one option: a local cable company. AT&T does offer DSL service across the street (and it's only 0.75 mpbs) but not at her location. Apart from satellite (not viable for streaming, so not an option) she can get cable Internet. That's it. And her house is located 11.5 miles outside Georgia's 3rd largest city. She's not in the middle of nowhere, although she's certainly not in a metropolitan area.

There are plenty of places where there is only one viable option.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
Note: I am not a Roku employee.
Nick2020
Level 7

Yah, Yah, Yah, ROKU you messed up and missed a simple feature. If I have my TV timer set to turn off in 30 minutes and yes the TV turns off, Roku keeps streaming even with the streamer saver set to auto which is 4 more hours later. ROKU why didn't you program a timer to stop streaming and also to turn off the TV too since you can turn it on? If you can't do the TV at least to the streaming part because I can set the timer on the TV. Does any of the internet providers have stocks or own ROKU? Maybe that's why we all use up our data twice as fast and get charged more? How hard is it to program a timer into ROKU. You have everything else programmed into the system. I'm very disappointed with my Roku Ultra, not having a simple timer to set for it to stop streaming. We're not in the stone age anymore. 2020 is coming up, I work in engineering and also develop. I would remove/demote the person in charge of the devices if they were working for me, period. You are all in bed with the internet providers or have no clue about sleep timers in the electronic age today, etc. What a waste of data and power consumption while it continues to stream when the TV turn off by it's timer. Can't imagine how much data and energy is being wasted in the U.S.A. Yes and I'm sure you have the energy efficient sticker on the device too.

splasher
Level 7

I found the perfect work-around, plug the usb power source into the TV's usb port, that way when the TV's sleep timer turns off the TV, the poser to the Roku is killed and the streaming stops.

The only downside that I see is the power on takes longer, but at least the streaming stops and if you are watching a series, you don't lose you place in the show.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@splasher wrote:

I found the perfect work-around, plug the usb power source into the TV's usb port, that way when the TV's sleep timer turns off the TV, the poser to the Roku is killed and the streaming stops.

The only downside that I see is the power on takes longer, but at least the streaming stops and if you are watching a series, you don't lose you place in the show.

There's also the fact that some USB ports don't supply proper power. That can cause issues.

Also, some USB ports are unswitched; that is, they always deliver power.

Of course, the top of the line Roku devices, such as the Ultra devices, can't be powered this way. 

I've used Roku devices for over 10 years. I never found hitting the HOME button on the remote a chore. But if using the USB on the TV as a power source works for you, knock yourself out.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
Note: I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
splasher
Level 7

@DBDukes 

All good points and thanks for bringing them up.  I'm new to Roku with a Premier and I'll be using it on a bedroom TV, so getting it to stop when the sleep timer turns the TV off is important for me.  Luckily this work around solves the issue for me, I will have to watch out for your list of other issues as I expand my usage.  I do agree with you that hitting the Home button is not too much of an effort for the non-bedroom TVs.

0 Kudos