Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lost_In_Delawar
Level 10

Roku OS 9.4 update causes issues with Vudu

After I installed this, when I go into Vudu and browse movies, it starts missing some of the movies and fills them in with black holes, then the background goes black, then it all goes black. As I move around some things will start to show up again.

I have already uninstalled the Vudu app, rebooted, and the did a clean install of the Vudu app. It did not help

I have a Roku Premiere+ 4630X

No other app/channel seems to be affect other than your app/channel

38 Replies
Dangerouscereal
Level 8

Re: Roku OS 9.4 update causes issues with Vudu

I have been having this same issue with my new roku streambar.  I have contacted  vudu and they said they havent had other complaints, and im not having this issue with any of my other roku devices.  I have uninstalled, restarted and reinstalled the app, checked to make sure it was current as well as system updates to the roku... i even did a complete factory reset. Same issues.  It has to be a roku issue instead of a vudu issue otherwise my other devices would have the same issue.  My roku system is running on the same software version 9.4.0 build 4190-95

0 Kudos
CECILDIGITAL
Level 8

Same problem: The Vudu app stops displaying menus and like there's some sort of buffer issue.

Model 4660x Ultra

Version 9.4.0 build 4200-46

9GB of 128GB sd card in use

0 Kudos
MrBurgundy
Level 9

Same problem here. Been dealing with it for months. I can browse Vudu for a few minutes before things start going black and disappearing. I have to exit the app and restart it to correct the issue, but it quickly returns to bugging out.

Model 4640X Ultra

Version 9.4.0 build 4200-29

0 Kudos
CECILDIGITAL
Level 8

I've sent a support request to Vudu since its their app thats buggy. Will update thread as info develops.

Lost_In_Delawar
Level 10

I've had tickets with Vudu and Roku, and no one has helped me. I will keep my fingers crossed for you

0 Kudos
Dangerouscereal
Level 8

I have also had tickets with roku and vudu for this same issue.  Neither comes up with an answer i was told they "would continue to look into my issue" and havent heard anything back.  Theres nothing wrong with the vudu app on any of our other rokus.  I wish you better luck than i had.

0 Kudos
JBCIII
Level 8

Same issue here. It’s very frustrating as I’m sure everyone will agree. If I get anywhere with the issue I’ll post it.

0 Kudos
CECILDIGITAL
Level 8

FOLLOWUP #2 - ESCALATION 

First response from Vudu Tech Support was what I'd expect from Comcast or AT&T.  Unplug the device, wait a minute, plug it back in, uninstall the app, reboot, reinstall, reboot, make sure current Roku OS is installed.  May as well ask me to put on a polo shirt and/or conduct a Santeria ritual to get it working.

Oh wait...Vudu is owned by Fandango, which is owned by Comcast.  I'll stifle my shock.

Frustrated since I've sunk thousands into this service over the last five years. I gave them a blow by blow response and reproduction scenario, explaining that I have over 450 movies plus hundreds of hours of TV Shows.  I told them I suspected a memory hole in their code that causes the interface to go wonky after displaying or loading about 250 images in specific menus.    

I got yet another canned response from their support team, telling me that they're taking the case up to programmer/developer level.  If its that far up, might as well pack a lunch and spare pair of undies. Its gonna be awhile.  

I suspect this is also tied to the Roku OS 9.4 update that has more overhead taking up volatile memory.  The OS now has Apple Airplay and some other minor features that might be hogging up previously available overhead that Vudu and other large apps could take advantage of. 

tdd345
Level 7

I was having this same issue with my Vudu app (everything going black when browsing through movies). It seems to have been an issue in the Advanced Display Settings. 

In Settings --> Display Type, my settings are 4K HDR10 at 60Hz HDCP 2.2. 

However, going into Settings --> System --> Advanced System Settings --> Advanced Display Settings --> HDR subsampling I found it set at 4:2:0. I changed it to 4:2:2 and have not had the blackout problem since.