Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bradmich807
Level 7

Roku Not Streaming Fox News DVR Recoridings

I can open YouTube TV on Roku, but cannot watch Fox News DVR recordings.  I can watch other channel recordings tho, very frustrating.  I can play YouTube TV Fox News DVR recordings on my computer but also cannot cast to the Youtube TV app on the Roku device...???

0 Kudos
9 Replies
StreamerUser
Level 15

Re: Roku Not Streaming Fox News DVR Recoridings

@bradmich807 wrote:

I can open YouTube TV on Roku, but cannot watch Fox News DVR recordings.  I can watch other channel recordings tho, very frustrating.  I can play YouTube TV Fox News DVR recordings on my computer but also cannot cast to the Youtube TV app on the Roku device...???

Try in order:

1)  Verify you have the latest Roku firmware (9.3.0-4194) and YT TV app version (1.0.9000060/1.0.8000016):  Settings/System/System Update/Check Now - if that doesnt help then...

2)  If you haven't already restarted your Roku, you should do so - if that doesnt help then...

3)  Uninstall YT TV, restart the Roku (MUST DO), reinstall YT TV - if that doesnt help then...

4)  Contact YT TV:  https://support.google.com/youtubetv/?hl=en#topic=7071745

NOTE:  DIAL-based casting (which Roku/Roku apps support, such as YT TV) sometimes requires connection resets/restarts (for disappearing/non-appearing devices), so either restart/reboot each device or disable/re-enable each devices network connection.

0 Kudos
Endorfin
Level 7

Did you ever resolve this?

I have exactly the same problem with Tucker and The Five, both on Fox.  Problem is on 3 different roku devices, one i just purchased today. I don't think this has anything to do with Roku because the same problem happens trying to stream directly to my Macbook in a chrome (with no Roku involved).   I'm pretty sure it's a "software glitch" that only seems to affect certain content. 

It had been intermittent but lately it seems like every day.  As long as you start watching before it ends, you are ok and can watch it.  When the problem first appeared, you could still scroll through the thumbnails (so files were still there) but now they completely black it out and you can't scroll. 

Kinda weird and freaky. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 15

FTR, I've had ongoing intermittent issues playing back any of FoxNews' evening programming the same night (before midnight;  it plays after midnight when the issue occurs, or if the recording hasnt ended) - and only the FoxNews evening programming, and only before midnight the same night, on any device or platform (including Google's own - Android/AndroidTV-based)

Never had an issue with any other recording, or with daytime FoxNews recordings.

This is a server/service-side issue of YouTube/Google, who just so happen to be the target of repeated vocal criticism regarding their corporate policy/behavior of information suppression/filtering from most of the hosts in the affected recordings, which I'm sure is purely coincidental after months of this repeated problem.

After all, Google has no algorithmically pretextualized pattern of behavior regarding suppression or filtering, especially of countervailing information/opinions.

And yes, as long as you start the playback before the recording ends or after midnight, they play normally.

In fact, in my latest interaction with YTTV support, it was claimed (for the first time) that this content isnt supposed to be available until 24 hours later, and this is SOP for much of YTTVs content (they admitted they couldnt point to any documentation of this supposed policy anywhere, including the TOS, which would of course render their DVR service moot).

Doesn't really seem weird and freaky when taken in the totality of the situation - would really just be another suppression/filtering scenario.

It's YTTV/Google's problem to resolve, and from their POV, they most likely don't view it as a problem at all, hence the ongoing lack of simple obvious resolution....

0 Kudos
PlasticJesus
Level 7

This has absolutely been a problem since late August or early October. It is consistently reproducible and occurs on any Fox news evening programs that have been dvr'd.

It doesn't occur on any other channel or for any other program that I've been able to find.

Also, it's not YouTube TV's problem. the YouTube TV mobile app works fine on the same network as my rokus. This is strictly a Roku problem, and if it doesn't get fixed in the next month or two I'm abandoning my Rokus for something else.

The quick work around is to start the recording on your mobile app and then skip ahead 5 or 10 minutes while still on your mobile app. Start casting to the Roku and it still won't work at first but if you change to a different program and then back to the one you want to watch it will work.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 15

@PlasticJesus wrote:

This has absolutely been a problem since late August or early October. It is consistently reproducible and occurs on any Fox news evening programs that have been dvr'd.

It doesn't occur on any other channel or for any other program that I've been able to find.

Also, it's not YouTube TV's problem. the YouTube TV mobile app works fine on the same network as my rokus. This is strictly a Roku problem, and if it doesn't get fixed in the next month or two I'm abandoning my Rokus for something else.

The quick work around is to start the recording on your mobile app and then skip ahead 5 or 10 minutes while still on your mobile app. Start casting to the Roku and it still won't work at first but if you change to a different program and then back to the one you want to watch it will work.

It is not strictly a Roku problem - whenever the FN DVR'ed playback issue occurs, it will not play on the YT TV app on any FireTVs (Android based), LG TVs (WebOS based), or Nvidia Shields (Android TV based).

It is YT TV's problem/issue and their responsibility to fix/address (its their app/service), and it isn't Roku specific at all.

In fact, if you do communicate with YTTV support, they will acknowledge its a known issue, and if you ask for it, they will credit you for a half/full month of service (at least).

0 Kudos
Endorfin
Level 7

Agree, it is not a Roku issue, it is a Google issue (via YTTV).  Easy way to demonstrate this is to connect directly from your laptop without using Roku and you get the same results.  Oh and you can only watch YTTV on google chrome - no other browsers supported.

When i said "software glitch", i meant it sarcastically using the lame explanation given when certain types of content gets censored "inadvertently". This seems intentional, complex and devious.  As for the programming being made visible after 24 hours, that explanation really only applies to VOD and not DVR.  Another BS answer from YTTV.   This is censorship by Google who owns youtube and YTTV. 

Regarding this: "In fact, if you do communicate with YTTV support, they will acknowledge its a known issue, and if you ask for it, they will credit you for a half/full month of service (at least)."  How nice of them.  They control what you can watch and then will give you money back when you call them on it.  

0 Kudos
Endorfin
Level 7

Re: "Also, it's not YouTube TV's problem. the YouTube TV mobile app works fine on the same network as my rokus. This is strictly a Roku problem, and if it doesn't get fixed in the next month or two I'm abandoning my Rokus for something else."

... or it's a YTTV problem masked as a roku problem. You have 3 ways to stream YTTV. From a google chrome browser.  From a YTTV app (owned by google). From a third party app / device like Roke, FireTV, etc.  The fact that you cannot get this to work on a chrome browser when there are no 3rd parties involved seems conclusive. Google browser. Google content (YTTV).  No Roku in the mix - still doesn't work.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 15

While I was willing to give Google/YTTV the benefit of the doubt initially in regards to this issue (not being a consequence of agendized suppression of notable criticism), after its repeated ongoing narrowly targeted occurrence and their lack of resolution, it was clear this was intentional/acceptable behavior.

IME, as far as service credit goes, YTTV is more than willing to hand out service credit like candy for any service issue, and has (I have only paid the full monthly price once, since starting service early this year, and have paid either no or half monthly for most of my service period due to credit given for a range of different issues). 

This is lilkely because YTTV wants to be competitive with other OTT providers and traditional cable/sat providers, and the best way to compete is on customer service, considering how bad it is with most other providers (hence why support is very easily accessible, and credit is very easily given).

0 Kudos
PlasticJesus
Level 7

It may be that YTTV is the problem, but I don't have problems with the YTTV app on Android (same network). In fact, the way I work around the issue when I can't play the program I want on Roku is as follows (using Tucker as example).

I know this is totally ridiculous, but this sequence works every time.

1. Start Tucker on Roku. This will refuse to play. It spins for a few seconds and goes black.

2. Start Tucker on YTTV app on Android phone while not casting to Roku. For me this always works. So now Tucker is playing on my phone, but the TV is still black.

3. While it's playing, skip ahead a few minutes on the app.

4. Cast from my phone to my Roku. This will fail to start playing.

5. On my phone (still casting to Roku), switch to some other program that will play (like anything on CNN).

6. On my phone (still casting) switch back to Tucker. It now starts although it's ahead by the few minutes from step 3.

7. Put the phone down and use the Roku remote to rewind to the beginning of Tucker.

It is completely idiotic that I have to do this. The fact that (for me) the YTTV app on phone always works is an indication that Roku is somehow involved.

0 Kudos