Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
visitor200
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Not Enough Space

Jump to solution

@dafox99 wrote:

Hey Danny and gang.

Same problem.  I have a roku premier.  My other premier works fine.  This one started the "not enough space" thing to either add a channel or load one.  I literally have eight channels right now, but only two work.  I did two factory re-sets, and then followed some sorta nutty instructions about hitting "home" five times followed by some other instructions "reset cache".  Nadda.  Very frustrated there's no one to call or text.  Just dead in the water paying for services I can't use.  Any/all help appreciated.

How I Solved the YOUTUBE Crashes on all of my Roku's

If anyone is still having their YouTube channel crash (no matter what Roku Device or Version you have), this may finally be an answer for you:

1)  The Core issue on all of my Roku's proved to start with my official Roku Account here at roku.com where all of my Roku Devices log into a single account.  When someone in our family is  using one of my devices and adds a new channel, that new channel gets added to all of my Roku devices because they are all tied to the single account at roku.com. 

If my wife adds a channel on her Roku 3, my Ultra Roku (when I refresh or check for updates or restart) will show her new channel on my screen, but at the bottom of my channel list. 

If she moves her new channel up her home page so it appears near the top for easier clicking, then my Roku will not show she has moved the channel up and I can choose to move any and all channels on my home page without changing her home page. 

But the point here is . . . if you have more than one Roku device all under one account at roku.com, then they will affect each other when reaching the MAXIMUM number of channels that a Roku device can handle, leading to a crash on selective channels.

Solution 1: Leave all Roku Devices in one account, but REMOVE/REDUCE the number of channels (which is what I did in the next step).

Alternative:  Separate all Roku Devices into their own separate Roku accounts if you do not want one device affecting another.

2)  On the oldest Roku 3 device that was crashing, I removed YouTube and YouTube TV right away.  I then reduced my remaining channel list from 225 down to 65 channels (with my wife agreeing to which channels we for certain wanted to keep), and it took me at least 30 minutes.  There were times when I had to refresh the home screen in order to get the option to Remove back up, as I was moving faster than the Roku was used to.  I then proceeded to do the following:

3) I then Restarted the Roku, guessing it needed to clear anything of old content.  I know there is another method of "clearing the cache", but I chose just to restart.  Also, I chose not to power off and power back on.  I just did a simple Restart from the regular System Menu.

4)  After the Restart completed, I then went back to System Menu and Checked for Updates.  Because the remaining 65 channels were not disturbed, nothing was noticed in new updates.

5)  My last "step" was to freshly install the YouTube App.  After it installed, I clicked on the option to Launch the channel.  The next thing my wife and I cheered at was the successful launch of our YouTube Channel!!! 

Summary:  I have poured over hundreds of comments on the forum and have read a lot of tips, suggestions, and even some narrow solutions that only worked for a few folks.  But in the end a thought came to me that this might be because of an over-loaded "hard-drive", like the ol' days when we were using 20MB hard-drives in PC computers in the 1980s -  and the whole PC would lock up - not because the operating software was not working, but because we tried to save everything to a little ol' tiny hard-drive.  Our new PCs have gigabyte and terabyte monster drives, but for whatever reason it looks like Roku devices and the use of a single roku.com account sharing with multiple devices - may have led to an overload when we reached 225 channels.  Hard to really say, but the above worked for me.

Please share your thoughts and experiences.  I'd love to see at least one Roku user post in this topic that the above steps worked for their household too.  If not, then I guess I really am the Man in the Moon by myself. 

Currently use 2017 Roku 4660 Ultra and Roku 3 (Model 4200x), Model N1000, Software V3.1 build 1011,

Previously owned: 2015 Roku 1 Legacy, and Model 2000c, Software V3.1 build 1011
visitor200
Roku Guru

Re: Not enough space

Jump to solution

@Rnabz wrote:

I tried all the things. Even clearing the cache. What worked (for now anyway!) is deleting all my extra wallpapers. Hulu is now loading and working which it refuses to do for the last 2 weeks. 

If anyone is still having their YouTube channel crash (no matter what Roku Device or Version you have), this may finally be an answer for you:

1)  The Core issue on all of my Roku's proved to start with my official Roku Account here at roku.com where all of my Roku Devices log into a single account.  When someone in our family is  using one of my devices and adds a new channel, that new channel gets added to all of my Roku devices because they are all tied to the single account at roku.com. 

If my wife adds a channel on her Roku 3, my Ultra Roku (when I refresh or check for updates or restart) will show her new channel on my screen, but at the bottom of my channel list. 

If she moves her new channel up her home page so it appears near the top for easier clicking, then my Roku will not show she has moved the channel up and I can choose to move any and all channels on my home page without changing her home page. 

But the point here is . . . if you have more than one Roku device all under one account at roku.com, then they will affect each other when reaching the MAXIMUM number of channels that a Roku device can handle, leading to a crash on selective channels.

Solution 1: Leave all Roku Devices in one account, but REMOVE/REDUCE the number of channels (which is what I did in the next step).

Alternative:  Separate all Roku Devices into their own separate Roku accounts if you do not want one device affecting another.

2)  On the oldest Roku 3 device that was crashing, I removed YouTube and YouTube TV right away.  I then reduced my remaining channel list from 225 down to 65 channels (with my wife agreeing to which channels we for certain wanted to keep), and it took me at least 30 minutes.  There were times when I had to refresh the home screen in order to get the option to Remove back up, as I was moving faster than the Roku was used to.  I then proceeded to do the following:

3) I then Restarted the Roku, guessing it needed to clear anything of old content.  I know there is another method of "clearing the cache", but I chose just to restart.  Also, I chose not to power off and power back on.  I just did a simple Restart from the regular System Menu.

4)  After the Restart completed, I then went back to System Menu and Checked for Updates.  Because the remaining 65 channels were not disturbed, nothing was noticed in new updates.

5)  My last "step" was to freshly install the YouTube App.  After it installed, I clicked on the option to Launch the channel.  The next thing my wife and I cheered at was the successful launch of our YouTube Channel!!! 

Summary:  I have poured over hundreds of comments on the forum and have read a lot of tips, suggestions, and even some narrow solutions that only worked for a few folks.  But in the end a thought came to me that this might be because of an over-loaded "hard-drive", like the ol' days when we were using 20MB hard-drives in PC computers in the 1980s -  and the whole PC would lock up - not because the operating software was not working, but because we tried to save everything to a little ol' tiny hard-drive.  Our new PCs have gigabyte and terabyte monster drives, but for whatever reason it looks like Roku devices and the use of a single roku.com account sharing with multiple devices - may have led to an overload when we reached 225 channels.  Hard to really say, but the above worked for me.

Please share your thoughts and experiences.  I'd love to see at least one Roku user post in this topic that the above steps worked for their household too.  If not, then I guess I really am the Man in the Moon by myself. 

Currently use 2017 Roku 4660 Ultra and Roku 3 (Model 4200x), Model N1000, Software V3.1 build 1011,

RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Hi @dafox99,

I wasn't able to find a ticket with support with your Roku email address. Send me a private message here with your email address to confirm, and I'll escalate with our support team so they can investigate further.

Thank you!

Austin

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.
0 Kudos
visitor200
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@kmotherway wrote:

This is happening to me as well, and I just signed up.

This is not acceptable.

Your answer is very poor customer service.

I don't know who you were directing the unacceptable solution to, but here is a copy of the solution that I posted above:

0 Kudos
ClockN

Jump to solution

I had this problem come up a few times in the last couple months this works for me but doesn't prevent it from happening again 

Just clear the cache and it should work 

On your remote consecutively hit

home 5 times 

Up

Left twice

Right twice 

Then wait 20 seconds you won't see anything happening but it works

0 Kudos
lowguns

how to fix YouTube not loading

Jump to solution

So I have tried to uninstall a lot of unused apps and YouTube still says that I need more space how do I fix this1.jpeg

0 Kudos
boogernose
Roku Guru

Re: how to fix YouTube not loading

Jump to solution

So remove all unused apps.

pull out any MicroSD memory you may be using. Do

Settings/System/System restart

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
Amelia666

Re: Channels are not working . No enough space

Jump to solution

I also tried that. Then I went to Launch Roku tips and it won’t open either!!!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

If you are still experiencing an issue, please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
SalAce
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Danny R.,

The problem seems to occur when trying to open the YouTube App.

This is my info:

Model - 3900X-Roku Express

Serial # YG00AE404788

Software Version - 9.4.0 - build 4200-51

Tracker ID 88-052-139

0 Kudos