Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eisenstadt0
Level 7

Roku + Netflix questions

My questions are will any model Roku in working condition permit Netflix streaming movies to be converted to an analog TV? That the version of the Roku OS of that model doesn't matter? That a number will be on that model's Home Screen which Roku.com needs for you to become a Roku customer? You give the man your charge card info but there's no charge to stream Netflix Basic 700pixel movies to your TV. Have I got that right?

I have Netflix DVD basic. The world is sool as regards DVDs even new from the factory which have a ~30% failure rate. A video rental store owner shared that juicy fact with me. Netflix rents its DVD library.

Heartfelt TIA

Mike in Austin
0 Kudos
7 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Roku + Netflix questions

You need a Roku that has analog outputs, and there have only been a few models over the years with them. The Roku Express+ (3910) is the latest version that had them. It is still listed as available on the Roku web site, and it says you can purchase one at Walmart. Probably available from other stores as well, but make sure it's that exact model. There are several older models with analog out, but I would hesitate recommending something that old. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 7

No. The only Roku with analog outputs (red, white, yellow RCA plugs) is the Roku Express+. The rest are HDMI only.

You do need a CC on file with Roku to activate your Roku but that has nothing to do with Netflix. You simply add the Netflix app to your Roku and sign in to you Netflix account.
You never need to call Roku at all in order to activate your Roku and from that point on you only deal with Netflix to watch Netflix movies. The streaming and the DVD rental service from Netflix are completely separate things and are subscribed separately. Most people with Rokus only subscribe to the Netflix streaming service. It should be noted that there is a LOT of overlap in titles available between the two services but there are some titles that are available only on one or the other and things are regularly being added and removed from the streaming service.

I no longer use Netflix (Except for activating my account for one month once a year to catch up on some exclusive shows) as I have Amazon Prime and that gives me access to their streaming library and that has plenty of content for me.

You can use any Roku on an analog TV by using a HDMI to analog converter. The problem with those converters is that they vary a LOT in quality and reliability.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"Elijah_Baley" wrote:
No. The only Roku with analog outputs (red, white, yellow RCA plugs) is the Roku Express. The rest are HDMI only.

Not according to the Roku web site: https://www.roku.com/products/roku-express-plus
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
"Elijah_Baley" wrote:
No. The only Roku with analog outputs (red, white, yellow RCA plugs) is the Roku Express. The rest are HDMI only.

Not according to the Roku web site: https://www.roku.com/products/roku-express-plus

That is the "Express."
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

That same link takes me to the Express + (Plus):

... and just like my old Roku 2 HD - there it is. A special 8mm to RCA cord (included - I hope) facilitates the connection.

Is there some website/model funny bidness happening, or what?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"Elijah_Baley" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:
"Elijah_Baley" wrote:

That is the "Express."

Nope...  Smiley LOL
Dan
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

The Express+ (3910) offers composite video connections. The standard Roku Express (3900) does not not offer composite video connections. 

Hope that helps clarify here!

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos