Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sipankh
Level 7

Roku Netflix App Question

I have multiple Roku devices and see that some run Netflix version=4.2.81179030 and some run version=5.0.81179018. Is there a way to upgrade those with a 4.2.81179030 to a version 5.X? I ask because removing channel and re-adding still installs the same version that the device had before leading me to believe how Roku firmware is coded it pulls the app version based on its build number; model; trc version; davinci version; software build etc..all combined or based on one of these parameters. Please advise how can a user do a manual upgrade, if possible or generally explain what I suspect is the case, since many users are likely not even aware that some of the Netflix app issues they deal with could be related to these differences. Thank you.

SIPAnkh ™®©
"I think therefore I am dangerous!!!"
--
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: Roku Netflix App Question

"sipankh" wrote:
I have multiple Roku devices and see that some run Netflix version=4.2.81179030 and some run version=5.0.81179018. Is there a way to upgrade those with a 4.2.81179030 to a version 5.X? I ask because removing channel and re-adding still installs the same version that the device had before leading me to believe how Roku firmware is coded it pulls the app version based on its build number; model; trc version; davinci version; software build etc..all combined or based on one of these parameters. Please advise how can a user do a manual upgrade, if possible or generally explain what I suspect is the case, since many users are likely not even aware that some of the Netflix app issues they deal with could be related to these differences. Thank you.

You get the app that Netflix supports for that model. Most likely, the older version is on an older, less powerful device that would not run the newer version, or at least not run it well.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
sipankh
Level 7

I agree. However what is interesting that that difference is between Roku Ultra 4660X model running 5.X and Roku Premiere+ 4630X model running 4.X. Talk about their top of the line devices where you would think both would run the latest code. Sucks!

SIPAnkh ™®©
--
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"sipankh" wrote:
I agree. However what is interesting that that difference is between Roku Ultra 4660X model running 5.X and Roku Premiere+ 4630X model running 4.X. Talk about their top of the line devices where you would think both would run the latest code. Sucks!

Not sure what about that model would cause Netflix to place an older app. Unless they just screwed up in their settings.

I have an older Premiere (same year as your Premiere+) that I’ll pull off the shelf and see how Netflix deals with it.

Just to be sure, both your devices are running OS 9.x right?
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all, 

Channel versions across different device models will vary, depending on the channel. The number/version of a channel doesn't always indicate a difference in 'new' vs. 'old', or a difference in features/functionality ( although in some cases, it may).

Different devices may run differing versions of channels for a variety of reasons or factors. In this case, the device is receiving the version of the channel that is intended. 

Cheers,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
sipankh
Level 7

"DBDukes" wrote:
"sipankh" wrote:

Not sure what about that model would cause Netflix to place an older app. Unless they just screwed up in their settings.

I have an older Premiere (same year as your Premiere+) that I’ll pull off the shelf and see how Netflix deals with it.

Just to be sure, both your devices are running OS 9.x right?

yes, they are both running 9.0.0 code version, however, Roku Ultra runs build number 469.00E04142A while Roku Premiere+ runs build number 299.00E04142A, which is a clearly different version of the firmware. As I indicated, and despite whatever Tanner from Roku commented which should have technically supported what I already commented on (actually it does), the code one device runs really depends on the hardware it was built with and firmware in the hardware it was built with (chipsets;wifi module;eth  module etc.). These two devices even that they were released in the same year, have few parts within its guts that are very different hence different versions.  Tanner since you will be reading this, I ask then when will Roku update the code and the build for Permiere+ so it will run better quality code (I have my own reasons why I ask). Thank you for the feedback in advance.

SIPAnkh ™®©
--
0 Kudos