Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku Media Player starting to give "malformed data" errors

Another data point:  I configured my NAS to also host a UPnP media player server.  When I play tracks to the Roku RMP, I get the same errors ("Malformed Data") as I was getting from my other UPnP server, and it seems to be on the same tracks.  These are the same flac tracks I sent to RokuDale.  The two servers are entirely different hardware (other than the router they share).  So at least I can rule out the UPnP server I was using.

Maybe it's time to give Roku users a way to downgrade to an older version, there seems to be a lot of trouble with audio tracks on the newer 7.5 firmware?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

A way to downgrade again would be great in a situation like this. Maybe through the secret menu. And a toggle for whether to automatically upgrade or not.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku, any news on this?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

....bump!...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

We did find a startup problem specifically for flac files and have it fixed here in the lab. My tests indicate it is more of an issue with wireless networks and slow servers. If you can use a wired connection the problem might be much less, or even go away. If your wifi network is shared with other devices and they are consuming bandwidth over wifi, stopping them might also help.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks for the update. I think you're on the right track with it being timing related. However I tried a wired connection a few weeks ago with no improvement. My server is a clean Core i7 machine, so server speed doesn't seem to be the problem here. (I can direct play 1080p movies with ease.) The WiFi connection I'm using for the Roku 3 is a 5GHz channel with no other devices sharing it and great signal strength at the Roku box. Thanks again for your work on this. Hope you're having a good holiday season. Looking forward to hearing from you again soon on this.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks Dale.

Is the fix something we'll be seeing in an update sometime in the future?  (And is the issue in RMP only, or other apps as well, such as Plex?).
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

it will be fixed in a future firmware release. it affects any app streaming flac.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Both are good news, Dale!  Thanks for your efforts on this.  

I'm greatly looking forward to the firmware release, my Plex playback via Roku is skipping a lot of songs on some albums, the fix should save me the effort of having to put together a Raspberry Pi Plex client, which is the direction I was leaning toward.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"bwaslo" wrote:
Both are good news, Dale!  Thanks for your efforts on this.  

I'm greatly looking forward to the firmware release, my Plex playback via Roku is skipping a lot of songs on some albums, the fix should save me the effort of having to put together a Raspberry Pi Plex client, which is the direction I was leaning toward.

I'm with you bwaslo. Thank you, Dale!
Any idea on an ETA for this update?
0 Kudos