Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
Hi! I just got a TCL 55S517, running v8.0.2 build 4140 of the Roku software, with v4.1 build 1579 of Roku Media Player. I'm familiar with the media the channel is supposed to be able to play, and have a variety of mp4 and mkv containers that play without issue on a PS4 and elsewhere. The material is being served by Universal Media Server, and the UMS log shows that it receives the request to play media from the Roku channel and begins playing with no noted issues. On the Roku side, the "retrieving" bar shows a single rectangle of progress, hangs for about 2 minutes, and then shows a "File Not Playable" error dialog that reads "An unexpected problem (but not server timeout of HTTP error has been detected." This behavior is invariant of the container or whatever mix of video and audio encodings I try to play.
I didn't note a lot of discussion of DLNA problems in the forums -- is this some unique stumbling block I'm encountering? Is there something super-obvious I'm somehow missing? Literally the only thing I got this TV for was to plug into my media server so right now I'm sitting in front of a 55" digital clock :-)
dgrace is correct. Just because the container is supported, there could be a codec issue with your media. The advantage of a Roku TV is that is supports MPEG2 video. But I have to say that both of my Roku TVs play just fine from my DLNA server, which happens to be Serviio.
Dan Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Thanks for the responses. Alternate media servers like Serviio are working fine; this is apparently an issue with Universal Media Server failing to properly recognize the device (which identifies itself as "Roku/6000X-7"). The issue can presumably be fixed with a new .conf although I haven't taken a stab at it yet. In any case, a UMS problem, not a Roku problem.
With the current RMP you can change that identifier to something UMS likes better. When you are in the device selection screen, set focus to the UMS icon and press the "*" button. Then click on Change USERAGENT.