Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Roku Media Player no longer displaying photos

Several days ago I started having an unusual problem using the Roku Media Player to view photos on my PC. For a long time, I have been successfully using it to view (on the TV) slideshows of photos from my PC. But suddenly it started saying there are no photos available. When I navigate to almost any photo folder, it says "No compatible pictures found". However, in a few folders, it finds a few photos (but not all the photos in that folder, even though all the photos are JPG files).

Here is what I have tried to resolve this issue:

- Removed the Roku Media Player channel.
- Reset my Roku 3 (by using the Reset switch, and also by unplugging the power cable, and also by selecting System Restart in Settings).
- Re-added the Roku Media Player channel.
- Rebooted the PC.
- Reboot the modem/router.
- Verified that Media Streaming on the PC is enabled.
- Verified that the PC folders are still Shared.
- Verified that the Plex app can still see all the photos.

What could possibly cause this strange behavior?

By the way, in case you're curious, the reason I prefer Roku Media Player over Plex is because the Slideshow mode in Roku Media Player allows me to adjust the speed of picture changes, while Plex does not.

Thank you for any suggestions you might have.

Regards,
Chris
0 Kudos
6 Replies
dgrace
Level 7

Re: Roku Media Player no longer displaying photos

I assume that your pc "serves" these photos with Windows Media Player. I'd start there and make sure that the location of your photos is still correct, then force wmp to recheck that library. I've seen this behavior occur after a Windows update.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos

Hi dgrace,
Thanks for the excellent suggestion. I went into "Manage Libraries" in WMP, and verified that it was still looking in the right folder for pictures. But just to be thorough, I removed the Pictures folder from the library, then waited until WMP said there were no pictures, and then added the Pictures folder back to the library.  Unfortunately, after WMP had found all the pictures again, the Roku Media Player still couldn't see them (except for the same few that it was still seeing after this problem started).
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

Hi vacationlover,
Usually this happens when Windows Media Player has a messed up database.
Try adding a new photo to one of the folders that previously had no available pictures, although photos were already in the folder. If you see it show up, you will need to get WMP to rescan all the library pictures. I've not found a good way to force that, even after doing a web search. Some of the techniques just didn't get the older pictures to reappear. I did notice I could rename them and then they would appear.
I suspect removing and then adding all the pictures will be a pain.
The Plex channel doesn't use Windows Media Player for accessing the photos, it will be using the plex server you've already loaded on your PC.
If you enable DLNA on your Plex server, and then access Plex using RMP you will likely be able to see the photos that way.
0 Kudos

Hi Dale,

I suspected that you are correct about the WMP database being corrupted.  I would have expected that what I did in my previous post (removing the Pictures folder from the WMP Library, and then adding it back) would have corrected the problem, but this time I took more drastic steps.

I followed Microsoft's directions for rebuilding a corrupt WMP database. Before I started, the database directory contained 18 files adding up to 180MB.  After rebuilding the database, it contained only 6 files adding up to 150MB, so it definitely did something.

Next, I did a System Restart on the Roku. However, after all that, the RMP still doesn't see the photos.

Lastly, you are correct that if I use RMP to access the Plex server, rather than the Windows server, then I can see all the photos. So that will allow me to play photo slideshows the way I want (using RMP's adjustable slideshow speed, which the Plex Channel lacks).

However, it seems a little strange to access the Plex server using the RMP Channel instead of the Plex Channel.  And I would still like to figure out what happened to make the Windows server not work anymore.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 7

Well, you know Microsoft removed wmp from Win10. Enough said right there.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"dgrace" wrote:
Well, you know Microsoft removed wmp from Win10. Enough said right there.

They removed Windows Media Center, not Media Player. And I'm still annoyed about it. I had to rebuild one of my media servers from scratch with Windows 7 since the workarounds to install WMC on Win 10 didn't provide full functionality. Now it's all fine again back under Win 7. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos