Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ratsorizzo
Level 7

Roku Media Player no loner brings up subtitles options.

Did something change? I hit the options button but nothing comes up during video files.
0 Kudos
19 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Roku Media Player no loner brings up subtitles options.

Which model Roku? I just checked my 2016 Ultra, and the * button opens a menu with captions, audio track, night listening and accessibility options. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Ratsorizzo
Level 7

Roku Ultra, want me turn it upside down and check it's sex?  Haha
JK, and the media player used to do it, and it's software, I don't get it.
But yeah I can check if that makes a difference, I don't get why it changed on me all of the sudden.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"Ratsorizzo" wrote:
Roku Ultra, want me turn it upside down and check it's sex?  Haha
JK, and the media player used to do it, and it's software, I don't get it.
But yeah I can check if that makes a difference, I don't get why it changed on me all of the sudden.

There's two different models of Ultra: 2016 (model 4640) and 2017 (model 4660). The easiest way to see which one you have is to look on the back of the box. If you have an optical out, it's a 4640, if not it's a 4660. You can also see the model in the settings menu. However, both versions are probably running the same firmware, so you should have the same options that I have. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Ratsorizzo
Level 7

I looked and it doesn't matter, it's the software.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

What is the firmware version for this Roku?
0 Kudos
Ratsorizzo
Level 7

why does the firmware matter? It's the media player which is software.
EDIT: How do I find that if it does have anything to do with it?
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

OK, RMP is an app that is a frontend to the roku firmware. All RMP primarily does is present a navigation interface so one can locate the media one wants to play. Once the user has pressed play, most everything is taken care of by the firmware, including pause/rewind/* button handling/caption tracks, etc.

On the Ultra, to get to the caption track selection after pressing "*" while the video is playing you need to go into the "accessibility"

For the video you are trying to play with subtitles, are the subtitles embedded in the file itself, or are they external .srt files?

To find the version of the firmware, go into Settings/System/About
0 Kudos
Ratsorizzo
Level 7

Embedded, do they have to be SRT? I was thinking the same thing possibly and was about to try srt files.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

They do not have to be embedded, however the Roku only supports certain types of embedded subtitles. Do you know what type of subtitles these are? The Roku does not support image based subtitles.
0 Kudos