Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku Media Player keeps freezing/not responding when playing basic MP4 video from USB

We just bought a new TCL 32S327-CA Roku TV we installed in our corporate waiting room to play some corporate video in loop a few short hours per day (nothing too heavy as usage), however the ROKU media player keeps freezing/not responding several times a day while we play some very basic (and small) MP4 video in repeat mode from a USB 2.0 thumb drive. While the Roku Media Player is frozen, even by returning to main menu, then launch it back, the file browser are working, however as soon as I click on a video file, the progress bar for loading remain stuck forever. If I remove and put back the USB thumb drive it's still frozen.. so the only option is to choose "reboot device" from system settings and it works back for a few hours, then it freezes again. I tested it with another USB thumb drive with the same result. I already checked for any system update and it's fully up-to-date as per today!

Our corporate videos are super basic MP4 (H.264) 1920x1080 videos, that last a few minutes and weight like 60 MB each (we have two)...

Any suggestion for me? I am a bit screwed since I exceeded the 30 days return policy from Best Buy since it was purchased like 60 days ago as it required some time to be wall mounted in the waiting room by the contractors.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku Media Player keeps freezing/not responding when playing basic MP4 video from USB

Nobody ever experienced such as freezing? Smiley Surprised

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku Media Player keeps freezing/not responding when playing basic MP4 video from USB

I'm having the same issue, it started a few weeks back on my Insigna Roku TV.  We are using the Media player for the same function.  We loop a video in our lobby which worked for months then all the sudden it started freezing and the whole app closes and puts me out to the home screen.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

@theelbrando @SimmZ Thanks for reaching out about the issue you're seeing. A few more questions to help better understand the issue you're running into: 

- When did you first observe this issue occurring?

- Have you tried using an alternate USB thumb drive to play your files? 

- Have you tried re-encoding the files or reformatting the videos to see if this changes the behavior you are seeing? 

The next time this issue occurs, please generate an issue tracker report ID by pressing the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times on your Roku remote. 

For additional help, please send me a private message with your Roku device's serial number from Settings>System>About, the issue tracker report ID you generated, and a link to a shared folder with one of the sample files so our team can try to reproduce the issue and help take a closer look. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

@RokuTannerD wrote:

@theelbrando @SimmZ Thanks for reaching out about the issue you're seeing. A few more questions to help better understand the issue you're running into: 

- When did you first observe this issue occurring?

For myself, first time I ever use the television straight out of the box. It worked fine for the first few hours, then media player completely froze.

- Have you tried using an alternate USB thumb drive to play your files? 

Yes sure, I tested with several USB thumb drive, some low quality USB 2.0 (generic brand), so as some very high-end Kingston USB 3.0 drive, same result, same problem.

- Have you tried re-encoding the files or reformatting the videos to see if this changes the behavior you are seeing? 

Yes, while my corporate were already PRECISELY like the recommended coded format, I still take them and re encoded them from scratch, with the same result, same problem.

The next time this issue occurs, please generate an issue tracker report ID by pressing the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times on your Roku remote. 

Since my location in Canada are currently in quarantine because COVID-19 virus, I am working from home for the few next weeks without access to my office where the ROKU TV is installed. As soon as I return to my office I'll do this process for you and let you know the result.

For additional help, please send me a private message with your Roku device's serial number from Settings>System>About, the issue tracker report ID you generated, and a link to a shared folder with one of the sample files so our team can try to reproduce the issue and help take a closer look. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos