Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ipedrow
Level 7

Roku Media Player (dual audio/subtitles not working)

I just bought a TCL Roku TV
It works really good, excellent audio and video but I'm very disappointed, I wanted a TV for watching videos that I've downloaded to my usb before. I live outside and I don't get internet connection at home, so streaming videos is not an option, (but I could bring my TV to a wifi for upgrading it).
These videos are .MKV that have double audio (SPANISH-ENGLISH) same for subtitles. But when I play the videos using Roku Media Player it doesn't allow me to change between audios, there is not an option to do that. The same for the subtitles. And some videos does not play, it shows an "codec error". Can someone tell me what to do? Almost any non-good quality TV I've tried let me choose between audio languages and adding subtitles but TCL Roku does not.
I haven't connected my tv to any wifi so I don't know if there's an app in the store that could solve my problem.
And someone knows if Roku TCL has mirroring option?

Thanks for your help!
0 Kudos
14 Replies
RokuDale
Level 8

Re: Roku Media Player (dual audio/subtitles not working)

Have you tried pressing the '*' options/info button while the video is playing?
0 Kudos
ipedrow
Level 7

"RokuDale" wrote:
Have you tried pressing the '*' options/info button while the video is playing?

Thanks for your answer @RokuDale
Of course I've tried. The last thing I did was updating my TCL Roku TV via usb. Now the TV let me active and choose between subtitles Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy and now it plays a video what was showing a codec error before.
But the main issue I wanna solve is the audio. It does not let me change between different audios. It just shows "The default audio is playing" (or something like that) while if I play the video in my laptop I can choose between English or Spanish as many times as I want.
Do you know if there's someone working about that?
BTW thanks, subtitles was something I really wanted.
I really don't get how "dumb" TVs let me change audio but "smart" Roku doesn't.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

What is the language you have selected on the TV? It should use that when choosing the default audio track.
0 Kudos
ipedrow
Level 7

"RokuDale" wrote:
What is the language you have selected on the TV? It should use that when choosing the default audio track.

There's not an option to change the language. I didn't select English, it was the default language. I don't know how I could change the TV's language. Do you?
Also is there a way for mirroring my smartphone to the TV?
0 Kudos
invaderzog
Level 7

I'm surprised it even plays. My experience has been that RMP will not play an MKV that has multiple subtitles without transcoding.

It may be the case that your media server knows that the RMP can't play it directly and that it is transcoding and sending a version that only contains a single audio/subtitle track...
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

Since the first release of the playback firmware for the Roku, the capabilities have gradually increased. Better subtitle support was added last year. r7.0 has better support for multiple audio tracks.
0 Kudos
jerezanito
Level 7

Hi ipedrow or maybe somebody find the way to play subtitles or 2 audios on TCL ROKU TV I'M trying too but I can't find any option for this or maybe a particular channel in you guys know about this issue please let me know thank you......
0 Kudos
matrix100
Level 7

I just purchased and am also getting all the audio from my satellite tv (using coax input via Antenna port) is playing in Spanish. I do not see where to change the audio output selection to be English.
The CC text is coming out in English, but the language from the audio is in Spanish.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would hate to have to return it so soon after I just purshased it.

Thank you,
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

I suspect your roku-tv is running firmware 6.2 or earlier. Multiple audio track support was added in r7.0. When r7.0 is released for r7.0, multiple audio track selection should start working from inside RMP.
0 Kudos