Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cjens19
Level 7

Roku Media Player can't connect to DLNA server

Roku Express version 9.0.0 Build 4116
Roku Media Player version 4.1 Build 1609

Issue: I can connect to and browse my collection of mp4/avi files on my DLNA server, but trying to play any of them result in an error from RMP: 
"Server connection error"
"Not able to connect to <my DLNA server name> please check your connection"

The connection is fine, as I can play my media on other DLNA clients, and I can even browse all media files on RMP (I didn't think RMP displayed any files that it couldn't play or didn't have the ability to decode).

Can I get on the RMP beta program to try a beta version that may help me with this issue? Thanks.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Roku Media Player can't connect to DLNA server

It sounds like your DLNA server isn't transcoding the media into a Roku supported format. The AVI container isn't supported, so it has to be either transcoded (incompatible video and/or audio) or transmuxed (compatible video and audio). What are you using for a DLNA server?
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
cjens19
Level 7

Hey thanks for the reply. I just imaged a new DietPi server last night so I'm still working through the configuration of the various apps I've installed, ReadyMedia (frmly MiniDLNA) being the server I'm using for video streaming. I'm now wondering if it's not doing the transcode ootb and I need to install a 3rd party transcoder. I've not seen anything about transcoding in the ReadyMedia wiki which is why I thought it would just work. 

So perhaps this is not an issue with my Roku or the RMP app, but I will be sure to report back here with any findings (like which transcode app/settings work for RMP) just in case someone else has a similar issue with RMP.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

I've never used that DLNA server, so can't say how to configure or what it's capable of. But I do know that a properly working DLNA server works just fine with RMP. I'm sure you'll find it.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

I'm always happy to have more RMP users that want to help with the next version join the RMP beta group.
Standard minidlna/readymedia doesn't support transcoding although there is a separate experimental branch that does.
0 Kudos
cjens19
Level 7

Ah yes, I see that other branch now. I may also give Plex a shot as I see that has certified DLNA support. 

Thanks guys, I'll post back tonight when I try these other servers out and once I get a stream working.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"cjens19" wrote:
Ah yes, I see that other branch now. I may also give Plex a shot as I see that has certified DLNA support. 

Thanks guys, I'll post back tonight when I try these other servers out and once I get a stream working.

If you use Plex, it has a Roku channel, so you don't have to use DLNA/RMP to watch your media. Not everyone is thrilled with the latest update to the Plex channel, though. I still prefer using RMP myself, and my DLNA server (Serviio) is exceptionally capable of doing what is needed for great playback. I also have Plex installed, but rarely use it. If you are using an AVR for your audio, Plex isn't always the best choice. 
Dan
0 Kudos
cjens19
Level 7

So I ditched MiniDLNA and installed Plex on my DietPi (rPi3) and holy cow was that easy. RMP can see all my files and streams them flawlessly. I guess the Plex transcoding ootb is pretty solid and RMP is more than happy with everything. So for anyone else who stumbles here from a Google search, Plex was the ticket for me.

Thanks for the replies, stream on!
0 Kudos