Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ultrauserrr
Level 7

Roku Media Player app shows "Stereo" as title for DVDs copied with Handbrake

In the past I have made MP4 files from my DVDs using VLC, then watched them via Roku Media Player app (on Roku Ultra player). These files are displayed by Roku Media Player in a list of titles using the filenames (excluding the .mp4 extension).

e.g.   filename  Sound of Music.mp4   shows in the list of titles as: Sound of Music

Recently I began using *Handbrake* to copy some DVDs to MP4 files -- but these files are ALL displayed by Roku Media Player with the title "Stereo".  I cannot see what is different about these files versus the one created using VLC. Does anyone know why the Roku Media Player isn't using the filenames of these files for the list of titles it displays? 

e.g. filename Sound of Music.mp4   shows in the list of titles as:   Stereo    <<and this **same name** shows for **all** the movies I have copied using Handbrake. So I can't tell which is which.

It maybe relevant that these movies are stored and played from a WD MyBookWorld external hard drive connected to my home network. 

Thanks in advance for any advice.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
atc98092
Level 21

Re: Roku Media Player app shows "Stereo" as title for DVDs copied with Handbrake

I get 5.1 from RMP without an issue. But I stream from a DLNA server running on my media computer. My guess is your WD MyBookWorld is also running some sort of DLNA server, although I have no idea what it is. It's possible that it is streaming all audio as 2 channel. It's also possible that your media has multiple audio tracks and Handbrake has designated the stereo track as default (#1). You can change the order of the audio tracks in Handbrake before processing.

It's also possible that Handbrake is only including the stereo audio track, especially if you've chosen one of the Roku profiles and left it at default. I have an older version of Handbrake (1.3.0) on my computer, and just checked its defaults for Roku 1080p 30 Surround. I see it mixes the 5.1 track down to stereo, so that might be it.

If you are certain your media has 5.1 audio, try pressing the * button during playback and see if you can select a different audio track.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
BarneyF
Level 12

Re: Roku Media Player app shows "Stereo" as title for DVDs copied with Handbrake

@atc98092 wrote:

I get 5.1 from RMP without an issue. ..

Has nothing to do with the post you're replying to.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@BarneyF wrote

Certainly does. He says he's not getting 5.1 from RMP. I am, and offered some suggested things to check.

But I see what you mean about the file name. Perhaps something completely different. I don't see that behavior either, but again might be due to the DLNA server I use. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
BarneyF
Level 12

@atc98092 wrote:

@BarneyF wrote

Certainly does. He says he's not getting 5.1 from RMP.

Yeah, sure.

0 Kudos
Ultrauserrr
Level 7

To clarify. The problem is the TITLE shown by the RMP. It is not an audio problem. It shows the word “Stereo“ as the TITLE for every video I’ve copied using Handbrake. The title is what I need to find out how to correct. Thanks for any assistance or ideas.

0 Kudos
Strega
Level 12

I ran into something that MIGHT be similar when creating mp3 files.  There is a file name (like any file) but mp3 files also have a bunch of tags (internal fields set by the encoding app) for title, artist, etc.  And many mp3 player apps completely ignore any file names and only display whatever is in those tags.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Thanks. I didn't fully understand the issue.

I think @Strega may be on the right track. MP4 files often have internal tags similar to MP3 files. Where that tag is coming from, I have no idea. I updated my Handbrake and am looking through it again, and I can find nothing that might be causing that to happen. 

In Windows Explorer, you can right-click a file and look at the details tab to see what tags might be included in your file. I think you can even edit some of those fields from there. You might see if that title with Stereo is embedded in the file.

If it's not, I suspect it's something to do with the DLNA server that's built into your external drive. Perhaps connect the drive directly to the USB port on your Ultra and see if the name still appears that way.

Dan
0 Kudos
Ultrauserrr
Level 7

The problem is NOT related to the Title (metadata) tags on the files. None of my files created by VLC have these, yet their titles shown by RMP use the filename -- without the extension. But the titles of movies created by Handbrake all show "Stereo" as the title. I've tried adding and removing the Title metadata field from various files and it makes no change to the situation for any of them.

Such a mystery.... !

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Yeah, that is a mystery. I'm at a loss if it's not the internal tags. I can't say which of my MP4s I created with Handbrake, because I stopped modifying my files from the MakeMKV rips long ago. I let my DLNA server transcode any unsupported audio or video, and in fact I created the various Roku profiles for Serviio so the minimum necessary transcoding is done. But I've never seen titles messed up like that using Serviio.

I have seen strange names on media streamed using the Windows media streaming service that Windows 7 and later offers. But it's a pretty worthless server in my opinion, which is why I went looking for alternates and found Serviio. 

So how do those titles look if you connect directly to the Ultra via USB?

Dan
0 Kudos