Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bimfi
Level 7

Roku Media Player and WDMyCloud movie folder

I have been using Roku for a short time and enjoy it a lot. I mainly use it for watching movies and tv shows downloaded to my WD My Cloud NAS. The only issue I have is that I have to click on so many folders to finally get to the movie folder. I have tried looking in Roku to see if there is some sort of shortcut that I can make so that I can access the movie folder more quickly. Right now I have to open up Roku, then click on the Roku Media Player, then to the WDMyCloud NAS, then the video icon, then scroll over to sort by folder, then click on something else, then something else, then the folder with the movies in it. 
Is there a way to just make a folder so that when I open the RMP and then the WD NAS that I can just access the movie folder? If not, then I will just continue with the process I now have. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
BooBooKitty
Level 7

Re: Roku Media Player and WDMyCloud movie folder

No way to shorten or eliminate the clicking through folders.  It is one of my pet peeves with the Roku Media Player.  I eventually changed over to Plex just to avoid the clicks.  
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

RMP is using the information that WDMycloud is providing.
Make sure you have disabled the "Request media type at startup" option in the RMP settings. It looks like you've already done that since you didn't mention selecting Video before selecting the WDMycloud icon. You could go try one of the other folders that wdmycloud presents like "Album" or "By Date", this might allow you to get to your movie more quickly.
0 Kudos
bimfi
Level 7

Well, I decided to try the Plex Media app instead of the Roku Media Player. And that is when all of my frustrations began! I down loaded the app to my phone and to my PC desktop, but realized that it would not access the WD My Cloud movie folder. I saw on another site that there is a Plex Media app designed for the WD My Cloud. I tried to find it but could not. So, I updated the firmware on the WD NAS (My Cloud), thinking that the updated firmware would allow me to put the app on it. I don't know what happened but the firmware created some loop that prevented me from accessing the NAS drive. After about three or four hours I ended up having to reboot the NAS and creating a whole new account for it. What a mess. Then I found out that the site which said that a Plex Media app was available for WD NAS was talking about the WD My Cloud Home device. Evidently this device allows you to add apps. I am still not convinced that I cannot put the Plex Media app on my own My Cloud NAS. I will try to do this after I create a safepoint of the NAS. If anyone has any more info about Plex, I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks!
0 Kudos
BooBooKitty
Level 7

I have the same setup you have - Plex using the WD My Cloud.  I use the MyCloud solely for storage of my files.  I added nothing to my MyCloud except my files.  I did NOT add a Plex media app to my drive.   I have the Plex PMS loaded and running my desktop and use the Plex app on my ROKUs but not on any mobile device.  

First thing I did was map my MyCloud so that it shows as a drive on my desktop.  That just makes it easier for me to add files on a regular basis.  I can just click and drag from my desktop.  Easy enough to do.  Just google 'map my cloud" and there are step by step directions.  

Next I set up my folders on the drive.  I have folders for various TV shows (West Wing, Star Trek, etc) and then folders by movie genre (LOTR, Star Wars, Disney, etc).  I've changed/added folders a number of times.  Then comes the fun part of renaming files.  LOL  Plex works best when files are named correctly.  Here is a quick guide - https://support.plex.tv/articles/categories/media-preparation/

Once your files are ready, I basically used the info here - https://support.plex.tv/articles/202935738-video-getting-started-with-plex/  I watched the video and did the step-by-step guide.  

Hopefully this helps a little.  
0 Kudos