Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PKMisc
Channel Surfer

Roku Media Player and Plex Won't Launch - Kickback to Home

Hi, I've had my Hisense R50B7120UK Roku TV for a year and a bit now.

I've had an issue with the Plex application for around a year, when I try to launch the app it kicks me back to the homescreen. I've tried reinstalling, factory reset, updating, reboots etc and nothing works. I bought a memory stick to get around this issue.

This worked fine until the Roku Media Player app has this problem now also. I'd guess this started around 4 days ago now, and have tried the above steps with the media player too but it just won't launch. Unfortunately I don't know any other app that would allow video to play through USB, so my TV is useless for stuff I've downloaded now.

Anyone encountered this issue/know a fix?

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Media Player and Plex Won't Launch - Kickback to Home

Hey @PKMisc

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

Did you restart your Roku TV before re-installing the channel? That step is crucial when performing the troubleshooting. If you haven't tried the suggested order (remove > restart > re-install), we would recommend giving it a shot once again. We also suggest doing the restart from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
PKMisc
Channel Surfer

Hi Kariza, I followed the steps you mentioned, unfortunately same issue. Screen shows me the logo of plex/roku media player, then goes back to the home screen.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@PKMisc

Thanks for the follow up.

If you are unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
PKMisc
Channel Surfer

Hi Danny,

Unfortunately it hasn't been resolved yet.

• Roku TV: C219GB (Hisense R50B7120UK)
  • Serial No: X0020039RH37
  • Device ID: S005S3C9RH37
  • Software Version: 9..4.0 build 4174-AF
  • This issue occurs on both Roku Media Player and Plex.
  • Roku Media Player version 5.5 build 13 (issue only started last week)
  • Plex version 6.9 build 16 (Plex hasn't worked for me for a year
  • Tracker ID 37-079-653

Thanks for following up, I really appreciate it. The warranty on my TV has expired by now I think so I really hope theres a fix for this!

0 Kudos
PKMisc
Channel Surfer

Is any solution found yet?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@PKMisc

Thanks for the post.

From the information that you previously provided, it looks like your Roku TV is using an outdated OS, can you please confirm the following information so we can look further into your issue:

-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version 
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
PKMisc
Channel Surfer

Hi, thanks for getting in touch again. Info as requested:

• Roku TV: C219GB (Hisense R50B7120UK)
  • Serial No: X0020039RH37
  • Device ID: S005S3C9RH37
  • Software Version: 9..4.0 build 4174-AF

I can confirm my system last updated on February 21st at 16:50, and it last checked March 30th 21:12.

Hopefully this can be resolved soon as it's very frustrating.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@PKMisc

Thanks for getting back to me regarding our inquiry.

We would recommend checking for a manual update on your Roku TV in about 10-15 minutes. You can do this through:

Settings > System > System update

Once your device have been update to the most recent OS, please let us know if you are still experiencing the issue you were originally reporting.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
PKMisc
Channel Surfer

Thanks so much Danny! 

Both Roku Media Player and Plex are working fine now, issue solved!

Any chance I could get a refund on MediaBoxUSB that I bought thinking Media Player would never work again hahaha

Thanks again,

Patrick

0 Kudos