Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDale
Level 8

Roku Media Player and Playlists.m3u

One of the new things added to RMP a while ago was a generic way of dealing with Playlists. Playlists don't only allow access to local usb media files. You can put http:// addresses on the lines of the .m3u file and RMP will treat those as separate media files. RMP uses the extension to determine what type of media it is.

Rokudale
0 Kudos
43 Replies
tobewan
Level 7

Re: Roku Media Player and Playlists.m3u

I need help setting up audio m3u playlist files for audio streaming of my music. I have mp3 files on my windows laptop, shared out with Windows DNLA server. The Roku 3 sees the files and I can play the albums/mp3s just fine. However, no luck figuring out the format needed for the m3u files I have. I've tried various relative paths to the mp3 files. I cannot find any documentation on how roku handles paths for them. I have, in the Music folder, folders of Artists, then within those, folders of albums. I have tried:
Music\Mannheim Steamroller\A Fresh Aire Christmas\01-Hark! The Herald Trumpets Sing.mp3
..\Music\Mannheim Steamroller\A Fresh Aire Christmas\01-Hark! The Herald Trumpets Sing.mp3
.\Music\Mannheim Steamroller\A Fresh Aire Christmas\01-Hark! The Herald Trumpets Sing.mp3
.\Mannheim Steamroller\A Fresh Aire Christmas\01-Hark! The Herald Trumpets Sing.mp3
Roku never can find any mp3 files via the playlists, although it does see the playlist files.
Any pointers would be appreciated!
TIA
Toby
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 7

I've been using the freeware Playlist Creator 3.6.2 now for a few years and its simple and works. Nice features like highlighting missing files (usually due to renaming) so easy to fix.
I wiuld like more details on pointing it at web content. I had hoped I could use it to access a small time web radio stream.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
tobewan
Level 7

Thanks for the tip about Playlist Creator. I tried it and the playlist it creates is readable by Roku. The playlists I had trouble with were created by FreeRipPro. The problem is - they are identical except for the #EXTINF lines which should be ignored by roku. The text lines containing the location of the mp3 files are exactly the same, yet roku does not like the file created by FreeRip.

Working m3u (playlist creator):
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:86,A Fresh Aire Christmas - 1 - Hark! The Herald Trumpets Sing
Mannheim Steamroller\A Fresh Aire Christmas\01-Hark! The Herald Trumpets Sing.mp3

Non-working m3u (freerippro):
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:86,Mannheim Steamroller - Hark! The Herald Trumpets Sing
Mannheim Steamroller\A Fresh Aire Christmas\01-Hark! The Herald Trumpets Sing.mp3

Roku reports "no compatible audio found in" error when opening the FreeRipPro playlist, even after removing the #EXTINF lines. Notepad++ Compare reports the lines are identical... Smiley Sad
0 Kudos
tobewan
Level 7

Re: Roku Media Player and Playlists.m3u - Solved

The answer is - playlist filenames cannot contain spaces! Who knew?
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

Bug is now reported.
I like all the Mannheim Steamroller music, but Mannheim Steamroller Christmas (1984) is one of my all time favorites, having bought it at the time I was working at Amiga.
dale
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

when trying to use web content you should be able to just use a url. The url must begin with an http://
and the url must end with an identifiable extension, like .mp3
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

I just tried it on my test setup and it appears to be a bug in Windows Media Player.
It doesn't like the spaces in the folder name although it seems to handle spaces in the filename. RMP handles the spaces just fine.
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 7

"RokuDale" wrote:
when trying to use web content you should be able to just use a url. The url must begin with an http://
and the url must end with an identifiable extension, like .mp3

OK, been messing with this all morning. I tried a text file with just the URL http://janus.cdnstream.com:5160/live?cb=143770.mp3
in it and no go. I tried renaming the txt to m3u, again no go. If you drop this url into a browser it immediately starts playing. It is an online radio station, so maybe not having a specified file size hinders it.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

Bug filed.
When you click on the playlist poster, do you see an entry with that url as the name? It should be marked as an audio file.
rokudale
0 Kudos