Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Please
Level 7

Roku Media Player USB Slideshow Reverts To Homepage After 1 or 2 Hours

RMP plays my USB slideshow for about an hour or two, then the player just shuts off and sends my TV back to its Homepage.

When I first purchased the TCL TV, the RMP was an older version and it would play my slideshow 24/7 as desired. Then it started the Homepage reversion for no apparent reason.

I rebooted the TV and DL/d the latest RMP and it still stops after an hour or two and shuts down, reverting to the TV Homepage. I have tried different USB sticks. 

Any thoughts or suggestions?

13 Replies
Carlos1
Level 7

Re: Roku Media Player USB Slideshow Reverts To Homepage After 1 or 2 Hours

This is happening for me too. I’m on version 9.3.0. 

The update broke my experience. I was using this Roku with the USB media as the background for my remote office. Now it turns off randomly in the middle of my meetings. I clicked on every setting but it looks like there’s no way to turn this off. 

it would be nice if Roku developers could make the USB media play indefinitely again.

Also it looks like about 1000 people have figured out how to put nudes and other nonsense on the screensavers so I may have to go that route and see if it’s possible to put the company logo as a screensaver  

would be nice if Roku developers allowed us to Locally create  a screensaver with media from the USB  

Roku TV 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

An update is being tested for RMP at this time. I don't think this particular issue was mentioned previously, so I can't say if it's resolved in the upcoming update. But there are some other issues being addressed, so perhaps one of them will resolve this also. 

In fact, I think this update might have been released today. See if you have version 5.2 build 3 for RMP. If not, run an update check in the settings/system menu. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@Carlos1 wrote:

Also it looks like about 1000 people have figured out how to put nudes and other nonsense on the screensavers so I may have to go that route and see if it’s possible to put the company logo as a screensaver  

would be nice if Roku developers allowed us to Locally create  a screensaver with media from the USB 

I just checked the available screensavers on my Ultra 4640, and found one called Mobile Screensaver. This allows building a screensaver with photos from a smartphone that are loaded via the Roku phone app. 

There's 1015 different screensavers available. Some require payment, while some are free. I'm not going to look through them all, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's at least a few that offer using your own images. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Carlos1
Level 7

Thanks for the quick reply. 

I am using a TCL Roku 65” with software version 9.3.0 and build version 4182. Updated June 25. 

I just checked and there’re no new updates since then. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@Carlos1 wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. 

I am using a TCL Roku 65” with software version 9.3.0 and build version 4182. Updated June 25. 

I just checked and there’re no new updates since then. 

That's the Roku OS version. To check the version of RMP, highlight the channel and press the * button to see it. You can also get the version number within RMP by opening the help window.

Dan
0 Kudos
Carlos1
Level 7

Thanks for the idea, Dan!

The Mobile Screensaver was crashing for me at first but finally got it to work.

It seemed like a valid option to display my own jpgs but  After trying it I see that it fades to black every 15-30 seconds when it transitions between pictures and there aren’t many options to configure it.

0 Kudos
Carlos1
Level 7

Got it. Yes, I have version 5.3 build 3 of the RMP. It times out after a while. 

I think for the time being I’m going to set the screensaver to go to black after an hour. 

i’ll also try creating an eight hour video for the USB media and hopefully that causes it to not turn off. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@Carlos1 wrote:

Got it. Yes, I have version 5.3 build 3 of the RMP. It times out after a while. 

I think for the time being I’m going to set the screensaver to go to black after an hour. 

i’ll also try creating an eight hour video for the USB media and hopefully that causes it to not turn off. 

Just make sure the Bandwidth saver is turned off under your network settings. I'm uncertain if it recognizes that playing from the USB isn't using bandwidth, but it might cause playback to stop after four hours.

Dan
0 Kudos
Please
Level 7

WOW! Good action on my post. Apparently this is a common issue. I appreciate the RMP team recognizing this issue and hopefully taking steps to resolve it...thank you!

I have Build 5.2 version 3. I tried to update but it says I have the latest version. 

I also previously tried using Windows Media Server over my network and got the 'revert to homepage' issue, so the problem is not confined to RMP, but maybe something in the Roku OS.

I tried the Bandwidth saver to 'off' and my slideshow lasted 1.5 hours before reverting to the homepage. 

I have also tried to post 3 times, but it keeps giving me an error message when I hit *post*.

I tried one media player from the 'add channel' list, but it wanted too much info and permissions from me. 

0 Kudos