Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
clr61
Level 7

Roku Media Player Question

Hello- I have approximately 750 video files that I have loaded onto my Plex channel.   However, when I use Plex, it won't go from one video to the next.   But, the Roku Media Player app does!!!  The question I have is, when I go to the Roku Media Player, and select the Plex directory, all 750 files need to reload before I can play.   Is that common?  Is there a way to have direct access to these files without the loading (it takes about 5 minutes to load).  Thanks!
0 Kudos
6 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Roku Media Player Question

While I do have Plex on my media server, I don't use it as my DLNA source. I instead disable DLNA in Plex and use Serviio, but there are many others. You can run them both on the same computer. When I browse my titles, Serviio (and others) will present an alphabetical list, so it's not loaded every title all at once. It rarely takes more than a few seconds for the list to load. But even if I load my entire non-alphabetical list (probably about 900 movie titles) it takes less than 10 seconds to load. Plex seems to have added the DLNA function as an afterthought. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
clr61
Level 7

Thanks atc-
If I disable DLNA in plex, will I still be able to use Plex?
If so, then do I need to download Servilo as a 2nd server on my PC?  I tried just having 2 logins on plex, but it wouldn't let me download a 2nd plex server (it's as if it recognizes the Plex server I already have).
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"clr61" wrote:
Thanks atc-
If I disable DLNA in plex, will I still be able to use Plex?
If so, then do I need to download Servilo as a 2nd server on my PC?  I tried just having 2 logins on plex, but it wouldn't let me download a 2nd plex server (it's as if it recognizes the Plex server I already have).

With DLNA disabled, the Plex channel will still work, as will Plex apps on other devices. It's only the DLNA server function that gets turned off. I have both Serviio and Plex installed on two different computers at home without issue. I use one server for beta testing and other experimentation. But no issues running them both, as they use different ports. Both Plex servers are logged in with the same Plex credentials. You shouldn't have to download Plex twice. Just use the same install program you downloaded for the first install. Unless you didn't save it of course. :lol: But there shouldn't be any issue downloading again. I've seen nothing that indicates it sees your Plex server already running. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 10

Wanting to maybe clarify, you won't be using Roku Media Player to receive from Plex, you'll need to add the Plex channel. Not sure that was clear.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
clr61
Level 7

Yes I already have the Plex channel.  I've also loaded the Roku Media player onto my Roku.   I will try this disabling of DLNA in Plex, and downloading Servilo.   I only have the one computer, so atc your comment about having 2 computers doesn't help me.   Thanks for the input and I'll give this a try.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"clr61" wrote:
Yes I already have the Plex channel.  I've also loaded the Roku Media player onto my Roku.   I will try this disabling of DLNA in Plex, and downloading Servilo.   I only have the one computer, so atc your comment about having 2 computers doesn't help me.   Thanks for the input and I'll give this a try.

I was simply clarifying that you can run more than one media server on the same computer. There's no problem having Plex on your computer and trying other DLNA products. I have Emby on my test server, so right now it's running three different products at the same time. Go ahead and experiment!
Dan
0 Kudos