Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yachats
Level 7

Roku Media Player Problem with WIN 10 files

I'm trying to get my new RokuTV to play my Windows 10 PC's media files (mkv, mp4, mp3, jpg). The Roku Media Player finds the Win10 Media Server and loads up directories with the proper number of file formats sorted into those directories, but nothing plays. Tried many formats. 
0 Kudos
14 Replies
RokuDale
Level 8

Re: Roku Media Player Problem with WIN 10 files

Photos and mp3 audio doesn't even play?
What kind of error are you getting?
0 Kudos
Yachats
Level 7

"Incompatable file format" on all media type files, even mp3 and jpg. I never even see any file names in a list. 
0 Kudos
Yachats
Level 7

Once I "Added a DEVICE" in the Win10 Control Panel for the "Media Server - Streaming" then my media files started showing up on RokuTv. SOLVED
0 Kudos

I have win 10 with win media player 12 using WD my net 900 C with hard drive. I've configured the laptop and the router as DLNA servers. I also have a insignia Roku tv with Roku media player 4.1.  I have music, photos and videos loaded into the win media player and they all play on my laptop and casting to tv when I pair them up.  When I try to use the Roku media player it shows both DLNA media servers though when I go to open the files for photos and videos they are no files in the folders where the win media player shows them to be. The music folder in the Roku media player contains the music files and plays the music files but the folders for photos and videos are empty. Even though all the photos are .jpeg and the videos are .mp4 files (both of which the Roku media player says it supports and the hard drives are formatted as NTFS (again Roku media player says that it supports), I get the error message "no compatible media found". I know the files are there and working because as I said I can play and see them using Win media player and cast them to my tv. Though when I go to the Roku media the Roku media player says that they are not there. 

I have paid for tech support from Microsoft and they assure me that the Win media player is configured correctly and working correctly. Western Digital verified with me that the router is configured correctly through the on-line router dash board and they also tell me that if the router shows up as a DLNA media server in the Roku media server the router is working correctly.  Both Microsoft and WD say that the problem is with the Roku media player because the files in Win explorer and media server and the DNLA media servers also show up and it is ONLY in the Roku media server that the files do not show up.

Does any one know how to get the Roku media player to recognize the photo and video files? I have tried to go to "add a device" though there was no option as "media server-streaming" listed. i have added all devices listed that i can connect to and still no files are recognized by Roku media player. Would some Roku employee or engineer please reply?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

The built in DLNA server in Windows is not very capable. It has little to no transcoding support, and often you encounter issues as you describe. I moved on from the Windows server long ago. There are many different options available for a DLNA server that will work well with a Roku. I personally use Serviio, and there are others such as Plex that do a fine job as well. Some are free and some you have to pay for, but almost any of them are better than what is built into Windows. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

That may be true of the earlier versions of Window Media Player (like on Windows 7). But its not true anymore. The one available with Windows 10 is quite capable now and can do lots of transcoding.
@op I had problems with Windows 10 also, there are some additional settings you may need to change inside the sharing settings. Make sure you are sharing your media with all clients in your network. Windows 10 has more security settings you need to configure.
0 Kudos

hello,

thanks for the response. what are the additional settings you refer to in win 10? i have read all the ms instructions on setting up a dlna server and my homegroup is working fine. please tell me what additional settings.
0 Kudos

just a follow up,

i am sharing all necessary folders with all on network and all the necessary services are working and active. what else are you speaking about?
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

As a test of the media itself, could you copy one photo and one video from win 10 to a usb stick and plug that stick into the Roku?
What resolution are the videos and photos?
0 Kudos