Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cmarambulo
Level 7

Roku Media Player Not Playing SRT Files

Hello, I'm currently playing a TV show via my external hard drive, connected to the Roku unit, with the Roku Media Player app. However, the subtitles, in SRT format, are not showing on playback. This is very strange, since the subtitles show when viewing the video file on my laptop and when streaming the video wirelessly to my Roku 3 via Plex. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks,
Christian
0 Kudos
50 Replies
theuser86
Level 7

Re: Roku Media Player Not Playing SRT Files

You didn't specify what file type you were playing, as well as whether the SRT file is embedded in your file type (i.e MKV).

Now if you are dealing with an MKV with an embedded SRT, a simple search of the forums would have found your answer. It is a known problem and shall be fixed soon:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=64619

Plex only plays it because Plex is transcoding the video and burning in the subtitles.
0 Kudos
cmarambulo
Level 7

Hi there, thanks for the reply. The video file I am playing is an .mp4 and the .srt file is a separate one that shares the same file name as the video and is located in the same folder.

Does the Roku Media Player app have the capability to stream subtitles in this way?
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Just to double-check, you do have subtitles enabled in the Roku settings, yes?

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
cmarambulo
Level 7

Hi Shawn, yes - subtitles are enabled in both the Roku settings page and turned on in the Roku Media Player app just prior to playing the video.

Are there any other troubleshooting tips?
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

I'm not personally familiar enough with the RMP, but I'll point RokuDale over to this thread.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

Is there an empty line as the last line of the .srt file? What encoding is .srt file, utf8?
If those are all true can I get a copy of the .srt file to examine it. I don't need the mp4 file.
0 Kudos
socantra
Level 7

"cmarambulo" wrote:

Are there any other troubleshooting tips?

I believe the Roku requires a blank line with a hard carriage return as the last line of the srt file. That has fixed some on my Roku X|DS.
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 7

There have been several reports of srt files not being handled correctly in various Roku channels if the last line of the file is not terminated with a cr/lf.

Open the srt file in an editor. Scroll to the last line. Place your cursor after the last char on that line and press "Enter." Then save the file.

No guarantees but it cannot hurt to give it a try.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
theuser86
Level 7

It should play fine in RMP.

When you play the file in Plex, press the down arrow, does it stay Video: Copy or Video: Convert?
0 Kudos