Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bratman69
Level 7

Roku Media Player - Fast Forward Broken Now - 9.2

I'm having the same issue. When I start a video, it'll play with video, sound, etc. If I fast forward, I get sound but no video. And the pause button doesn't stop the video at all. If I hit the back button and start again, no video unless I tell Roku to start playing from the beginning.

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Black solid screen

@bratman69 wrote:

I'm having the same issue. When I start a video, it'll play with video, sound, etc. If I fast forward, I get sound but no video. And the pause button doesn't stop the video at all. If I hit the back button and start again, no video unless I tell Roku to start playing from the beginning.

Any thoughts?

Same question for you. What Roku are you referring to? No one can offer any suggestions without knowing the hardware involved. Also need to know what channel(s) this is happening with. 

Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
bratman69
Level 7

Sorry. You're right. I'm usually better about this sort of thing.

I'm using a Roku TV Box. The Roku player 4200X-Roku 3.

Software version 9.2.0 build 4100-04

Serial Number 1GJ37S005367

Last Updated Oct 8th.

I've restarted it and unplugged and left it for a while, then restarted. Still no dice. The only thing I HAVEN'T done so far is factory reset it. Which I will try if it doesn't resolve soon.

Any other info you might need?

0 Kudos
bratman69
Level 7

Also, this is happening with Roku Media Player. I have reinstalled that channel with no change. PLEX works fine. It's just RMP. No other channels seem to be having an issue, but I haven't tried them all. 

RMP goes black when I fast forward a video. After that I just get audio and a black screen.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the details here. A few more questions to help understand your setup: 

- What file type are you trying to play when you encounter this issue? 

- What encoder, program or source did you use to encode the file? 

- Have you tried playing a different video file type to see if you encounter the same issue? 

- Can you provide a link to a public folder with a sample file that you encounter the issue on? 

- What version/build of the Roku Media Player channel do you have installed? (Go to the channel tile on the home screen and press the * key to see this information)

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Highlighted
55a
Level 7

Roku Media Player - Fast Forward Broken Now - 9.2 Build

Hitting Fast Forward after a movie has started renders a black screen with the movie still playing in the background...The movie does fast forward but never comes back on screen.  Just black screen.

Quality with the 3 dots and timeline ( ie 10 minutes remaining ) remain on the screen at the bottom , the screen stays black, the movie continues to play in the background ( you can hear it ).  If I fast forward some more with the black screen you can tell the movie is fast forwarding based on the audio but the screen will stay black with Quality and Timeline ( ie 2 minutes remaining ) still at the bottom of the screen.  I have let the movie finish ( based on the sound playing ) with black screen and Media Player just hangs indefinitely once finished ( you can hit home key or back key to get out of it ).

Roku 3 OS 9.2 ( build 4106-4 ) and Roku Media Player 4.2 ( build 1655 )

Uninstalled App, Rebooted, Reinstalled App.... Nothing changes...

Same for USB stick plugged directly into Roku

* started after 9.2 release *

Help!!!!

bratman69
Level 7

Tanner,

I'm using version 4.2 build 1655 of RMP.

The files I watch are encoded at h.264. I tend to rewatch the same movies in the background as I'm doing other things, mostly Marvel's MCU, all are .MP4's encoded at h.264. All the files I'm watching (or attempting to) have been watched on this software before, either streaming from my laptop as a server, or off a usb drive.

It's only been in the last couple weeks that I've seen the black screen when fast forwarding. And sometimes, I JUST wanna get to the battle scenes. ;-)

0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

We haven't been able to reproduce this. I suspect it may have something to do with the way some files are encoded. If we had a small video file that was known to have the problem, that might help. If anyone who is having the problem is willing to share a video file, please send me a private message.

0 Kudos
deltafactory
Level 7

Re: Roku Media Player - Fast Forward Broken Now - 9.2 Build

0 Kudos
rando
Level 1

Re: Roku Media Player - Fast Forward Broken Now - 9.2 Build

I just noticed the 9.2 update is causing me to have this issue as well. My Roku ultra is fine but my Roku 3 media app won't let me fast forward anymore... You can scrub forward but then the screen goes black while the sound still plays. And then you have to exit media app. Smiley Sad

Very frustrating as I use the roku 3 on a media cart i use for exercise videos where it's nice to be able to repeat various parts of the video quickly and easily.

Roku support, please fix?? And push new update for Roku 3s... The USB feature is what keeps me on the Roku platform.

0 Kudos