Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hmullins
Level 7

Roku Media Player App thumbnails

Hello, I have a question regarding thumbnails on the Media player app. I am using a WD external hard drive connected by USB to A Roku 2 XS. All the video files are mp4, but I only get the generic video icon. Am I doing something wrong or is there a setting I can change? Thank you for any help.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
RokuDale
Level 8

Re: Roku Media Player App thumbnails

RMP does not extract thumbnails from .mp4 files. If you have a file named mymovie.mp4 it will use mymovie.jpg as a thumbnail if in the same directory.
0 Kudos
hmullins
Level 7

Thanks for the info. but I must admit I am not quite sure I understand. Do I need to rename my video files? Thanks
0 Kudos
bennor3814
Level 7

"hmullins" wrote:
Thanks for the info. but I must admit I am not quite sure I understand. Do I need to rename my video files? Thanks

No you do not rename the video files. You create a JPG graphic file that contains the thumbnail image you wish to display and give it the identical name as the movie file.
Movie file: Forest Gump.mp4
Thumbnail: Forest Gump.jpg
0 Kudos
drume
Level 7

Does the Roku Media Player have a preferred aspect ratio or resolution for these video thumbnails?  Should they be 2:3 like poster art?  Or 16:9 like screen art?
0 Kudos
MrDifficult
Level 7

PLEX.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

16 by 9
0 Kudos