Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkyM
Level 8

Roku Media Player App Zooms My Photos

Jump to solution

I just bought 3 Roku Express 4k Plus devices and have been very happy with them so far! However, the Roku Media Player app incorrectly zooms my photos to fill the tv screen (16:9 ratio), cutting-off the top and bottom of landscape photos instead of providing the correct black bars on the sides for 3:2 ratio photos for example.

Yes, my (LG 4k LCD and LG 4k OLED) TVs are set to "Just Scan" so they will show whatever aspect ratio is presented to them correctly. Other media player apps on other systems (Nvidia Shield) and the built-in media player app on the TV show the photos correctly.

There doesn't seem to be a setting to fix this.

I'm not having issues with incorrect rotation of the photos. And videos play fine since they are all 16:9 natively.

Thanks!

--Mark--

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarkyM
Level 8

Re: Roku Media Player App Zooms My Photos

Jump to solution

Update:

I had been using Twonky Media Server (a DLNA server) but have now switched to Plex Media Server.

The Plex app plays the photos in the correct aspect ratio.

--Mark--

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2\
MarkyM
Level 8

Jump to solution

Here are some photos of my LG TV showing the problem:

Here's what the photo is supposed to look like from the native LG TV app. It is a 3:2 aspect ratio photo from my DSLR:

LGTV_Correct.png

And here is what is happening with the Roku Media Player app. It is incorrectly zooming the image to fill the 16:9 TV screen, severely cutting off the top and bottom of the photo:

Roku_Zoomed.png

On people photos it cuts off people's heads :-)

Hopefully this can be fixed, or an option added not to zoom photos. I would like to use the Roku for this if possible since it will be much more convenient than using different apps for different things.

Is there any way to directly report this to the developers?

Thanks!

--Mark--

0 Kudos
MarkyM
Level 8

Jump to solution

Update:

I had been using Twonky Media Server (a DLNA server) but have now switched to Plex Media Server.

The Plex app plays the photos in the correct aspect ratio.

--Mark--

0 Kudos