Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pclip

Roku Media Player - 'AV skew' Problem streaming 2.7K video through Ultra

I recently bought an action camera and captured first-person video of a bike ride down a mountain road. I used some basic third-party editing tools to add speed and elevation overlays to the video, and rendered the whole thing as an MPEG-4 (H.264) video: 2704x1521 @ 60 fps.

The video resides on a SSD attached to my router and configured as a media server. The Roku Media Player recognizes it and plays it for a few seconds before stopping with the error: "Excessive AV Skew." I created a second version of the video identical to the first, except with a "quality" setting of 80 instead of 100 (that was the only adjustable parameter). Resolution and frame rate are the same, but the file size is 6.3 GB instead of 9.8 GB. The second version plays for 15-20 seconds before stopping with the same error.

Questions: What is "AV skew?" What constitutes "excessive?" Is there anything I can do to avoid that error?

In case it's not apparent, I'm relatively new to video rendering tools. I'm eventually going to make a lower resolution version of the video to share. I just thought I'd start with the native resolution and see what can handle it. My Ultra (4640X) couldn't quite do it, but it was close... maybe close enough to work with a small adjustment?

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
theelbrando
Reel Rookie

I am getting the "excessive av skew" error

I am getting this error with media I run off my usb drive.  We run it on a loop in our waiting room and have been for months. All of the sudden it started stopping after just a few videos with this error. We have a different Roku tv in the waiting room and the usb drives and files are identical but only one of the TV's are getting the error.  All the videos are only 1080p

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: I am getting the "excessive av skew" error

@theelbrando

Thanks for the post.

Do you have another USB post on the TV that you can plug the USB drive into to see if you are experiencing the same issue?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Manvendra
Streaming Star

@theelbrando @Pclip 
Hi,
Even i am facing the issue? Were you able to resolve it at your end?
As per me this is around high-definition(4K) videos, but not sure.

Error:
Error Playing Video, Code:
Error Msg:
excessive av skew

cc @RokuDanny-R 

0 Kudos
theelbrando
Reel Rookie

I was able to resolve the issue.  I had to factory reset my Roku TV.  Haven't had an issue since

Manvendra
Streaming Star

Thanks @theelbrando for the reply. But it didn't fix the issue for me.

@RokuDanny-R Can you please look into it, any suggestion/help would be appreciated? I am unable to understand this "excessive av skew" error.

0 Kudos

Re: Roku Media Player - 'AV skew' Problem streaming 2.7K video through Ultra

This page was listed at the top of my Google search query for "Generic Playback Error excessive av skew". A second search through the Roku Community for "excessive av skew" showed this as the only result as well.

I was simply watching a pro football game last night on the Peacock app when the screen froze with "Generic Playback Error excessive av skew" plastered on it. I simply exited out of the app and restarted it and it went away, but I want to understand why it happened in the first place. 

Granted it could be an app issue, but I could find nothing online to substantiate that suspicion. 

If or when I find a solution, I'll return and post it. I'll check back periodically anyway to see if it's still happening to others. 

0 Kudos
Rah295

Same issue playing video files from USB, plus video and audio are out of sync. Movie plays for around 5 min before being interrupted by AV Skew message. I press resume and it plays the 1080p clip for another 5 or so minutes before again being interrupted.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Rah295

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce this issue? Does this only happen on a specific channel or content? Can you provide a screenshot of the issue you are experiencing?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jw15

Excessive av skew

0 Kudos