Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NHH
Level 8

Roku Media Player 5.5 fails to install

I moved the Roku to another TV for a bit, when I moved it back, the Roku Media Player wouldn't load due to network failure (Roku is wired, it was connected to the internet).  The media player did work perfectly while hooked up to the other TV.  I tried removing and reinserting the SD card, let it reformat the card, and when it finally worked, the Roku Media Player was gone.

Searched for the media player to reinstall it, but it always says "Channel install failed.  Could not add 'Roku Media Player'". 

I can add other channels with no problems.  I have restarted the Roku multiple times in between trying to install the Media Player.  I checked for System Update several times.  Nothing seems to let me install it.  The Roku is Roku Ultra 4660R.

Any suggestions?  (other than doing a hard reset, I'm not looking forward to adding all the channels plus the logins with long passwords...)

Edit:  After trying to get it installed for over 2 hours today, of course after I posted, things went differently.  I once again tried the System Update (maybe 30 minutes after the last time I did it).  This time it said there was an update scheduled, I selected do it now.  Once the menu came back up, I tried installing the Media Player again and this time it seemed like it was installing, but was taking a very long time.  The screensaver finally kicked in, but when I checked, the Media Player still wasn't installed.  I tried installing it once more, again it took awhile, but it finally installed.  So I guess you can ignore this post.

I will say the entire look of the newest Media Player is awful, like a kid drawing stick people outlines awful.  If there was a way to go back to the previous version I had, I would. 

7 REPLIES 7\
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Media Player 5.5 fails to install

I actually preferred the basic retro look of the Media Player (I'm thinking version 4).  Took a little bit of getting used to the version 5 update whenever they initially changed design.  It used to have different folder views (long, short, and list features).  Better presentation with longer file names.

Seems to play all the content fine though.  Probably would not have a complaint if I hadn't been a fan of the previous version I guess.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660x, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941
0 Kudos
DBDukes

@NHH Apparently the issue you reported is now resolved. Let me offer something about the microSD cards that may impact what you experienced.

Roku devices that support microSD cards only support cards of 2 GB in size. They will often accept larger cards, but only use 2 GB of the card. High Capacity cards (SDHC) are often problematic. Their use can be related to other issues. The larger, the more often they can be related to issues, or not work at all. 

Issues related to higher capacity microSD cards -- that is, issues that resolved when the card was removed -- have been reported to involve remotes, network connections, updates, and app functionality. This is not to say that all higher capacity cards will cause those issues, or that all issues on devices with higher capacity cards will be resolved by the removal of said cards, but that the removal of those cards did, for some issues, resolve the problem.

So, any time you run into an issue on a device with a higher capacity card, try removing it, rebooting the device, and see if that resolved the problem.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
NHH
Level 8

Removing the SD card was actually one of the first things I tried, I know they can be problematic at times with the Roku, or get corrupt easily.  It seemed stuck on the bouncing logo.  When the Roku rebooted, everything seemed to work fine, so I decided to just leave it out.  Then I ran into the issue with the Media Player first saying it wouldn't load due to a network issue.  Then after another restart the Media Player just disappeared.  All other channels were still visible, and I still was able to add other channels though, so I don't think running out of space was the issue (unless of course the Media Player is a much larger file size, but still I would think the Roku would say something about being out of space, not that it can't load due to a network issue).  Then after a few more restarts, the Media Player just disappeared from the Home screen and then installation would always fail.  Again, no mention of out of space, or need more room... just that the installation failed, repeatedly.  I tried removing some channels, adding others (which it did let me do).  So that's when I put the SD card back, reformatted it, hoping that would help, but the Media Player installation still kept failing.

It was only after the System Update that I was able to get the Media Player installed.  The SD card is a larger one, not sure of the speed, but I'll try and get a 2 GB Class 2 card for the future.  I had always read that the SD card had to be a "minimum of 2 GB" on Roku's website, so I never really thought a larger card would cause any problems.  But that info is good to know for the future.

I use Serviio as my DLNA server, and it seems the Media Player has really changed.  Under the old profile I used that worked perfectly in the past, it no longer sees .avi files.  So I'll have some juggling of profile lines to get worked out there, but I'm just glad it's back and usable. 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DBDukes wrote:

Roku devices that support microSD cards only support cards of 2 GB in size. They will often accept larger cards, but only use 2 GB of the card. 

Mine is using 3.9 GB of a 16GB card right now. Channel storage aside, since the results of the initial scans of attached USB drives is also stored on the microSD card if available, I imagine I could push that further.
0 Kudos
atc98092

To answer the question about going back to a version prior to 5.0: it can't be done. Roku made some OS changes that made the previous version unusable. That's why they were in such a rush to get a new version out, and it seems the OS changes are still causing issues with RMP development. Even for us that are part of the beta group, we don't get solid answers about what the issues are. There hasn't been any updates in over a month, so I have no idea what is going on with it.

While I still enjoy my Rokus for all its other functionality, I just use an Nvidia Shield (with Kodi as the player) for my local media playback now. Nothing requires transcoding, all types of captions are supported, and it has a Gigabit Ethernet connection for playing my UHD movie rips. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
NHH
Level 8

That starts to explain the issues that popped up all of a sudden then.  I had considered getting an Nvidia Shield, the price is the only thing holding me back.  I might still cave and get one this year though.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Since my two major TVs (family room and bedroom) both have AVRs (Atmos in the FR), I really wanted something that could bitstream the lossless audio tracks. The Shield is the only one that will do that. The fact that nothing needs transcoding is a plus. I use the less expensive version (what is usually referred to as the tube model) and it's just fine for that use. The bedroom has an older version, but still the less expensive version for that year ('17). There are rumors a new player is coming soon, and they do seem to follow a pattern of a new player every two years. The current models were released in 2019, so maybe due.

All that said, I'd be more than satisfied with my Roku players, even with the problems that RMP is currently having, if they had a model with Gigabit Ethernet and lossless audio bitstreaming. I can live without support for image based captions, which is of course what every disc (DVD and BD) uses. But if they're going to make a true "top tier" player, Roku would need to add some additional codec support as well, specifically VC-1 video (many Blu Rays use it), and to support additional containers, such as MPG or AVI.

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos