Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TomGarcia
Level 7

Roku Media Channel

I have been using the Roku Media Player Channel to watch videos that are on my Buffalo NAS with DNLA enabled.  The issue I have an don't know if anyone else has it is that the videos are showing up in the Pictures or music folders of the Roku player channel.  Some videos are in the videos channel, but it seems that roku is organizing them in a weird way. What is being used to tag the videos as music, videos or pictures so they end up in the right folders.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Roku Media Channel

RMP does not organize anything. It merely presents what the DLNA server provides. If it's listing incorrectly, it's the DLNA server, not RMP. Depending on the DLNA server, how something is tagged is generally based on the file naming format. Most servers follow the following convention: 
Movies: Title (year released).container. For example: A Beautiful Mind (2001).mkv. The year can be critical, as often the title is used for multiple movies, or the DLNA server attempts to match with the incorrect version.
TV shows: Series (potential year) - season number-episode number - episode name.container. Example: Bull (2016) - S01E23 - Benevolent Deception.mp4. The year is usually only necessary when (again) there are multiple versions of the same show. Hawaii 5-0 is one, Dragnet is another, and there are many more examples.
There is software called FileBot that does a great job of correctly naming a file. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
gginty75
Level 7

Is there no way to just have RMP show the folders as they are stored on the NAS drive?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

RMP just displays what the DLNA server sends. It’s up to the server to decide how it is displayed. Then RMP displays what it is provided. RMP has a sort ability, but that’s the extent of its display adjustments. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 10

I think what you are seeing is just the rmp screen where you choose video, music or photos, which only selects the proper codecs for handling each. If I have music in a folder but select Video in rmp I get the error about unplayable files, or some such thing. 
Does that describe what you are finding?
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos