Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rockworm
Level 9

Roku + HULU Failure

Jump to solution
I cannot watch two shows/episodes of a show in a row, ever.  At the end of the show, I always get "We are having some trouble loading this right now" and I am forced to exit the channel and restart.  I have followed Hulu's suggestions multiple times (restarted roku, deleted and reinstalled channel, etc.)

Critical:

• Hulu

• Channel version: 6.9 Build 2

• I cannot watch two shows/episodes of a show in a row, ever.  At the end of the show, I always get "We are having some trouble loading this right now" and I am forced to exit the channel and restart.  I have followed Hulu's suggestions multiple times (restarted roku, deleted and reinstalled channel, etc.)

• Watch any show and watch it fail at the end when trying to load next episode.

• 100% reproducible.

• What is the serial number of the box? : 4E755X037629

• What software version is the box running?  8.1.0 Build 4145-04

Nice to have:

• Code for the channel installed??

• Wireless Internet.

• What signal strength is the box reporting: Good

• Spectrum Cable Internet

• HDMI to TV

• What resolution is being used: 1080p

• Subscriber to Hulu, 4+ years
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rockworm
Level 9

Re: Roku + HULU Failure

Jump to solution

So a tech and I saw a ton of rejections from my cable modem/router combo - rejecting outbound messages from roku.  Neither of us have any idea why.

Replaced the combo with a new modem/router pair and the issues are gone.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
20 Replies
rockworm
Level 9

Jump to solution
Also fails on my Roku stick if that helps.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Jump to solution
Note that to delete and reinstall a channel, you must include a reboot inbetween the removal and the reinstallation:

1. Remove the app

2. Reboot the Roku

3. Reinstall the app

If you skipped the second step, or did the steps out of order, it doesn't count. Not saying that'll fix it, but you have done good troubleshooting so far, but that one step should be confirmed to be performed that way.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
rockworm
Level 9

Jump to solution
I'll go do that now and watch a show to see what happens.  I am unsure if the tech told me to reboot or not between removal and installation.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Jump to solution
"rockworm" wrote:
I'll go do that now and watch a show to see what happens.  I am unsure if the tech told me to reboot or not between removal and installation.

Non-Roku people probably don't, as it's a common troubleshooting procedure for many many platforms. Roku, like Windows, often requires a reboot around removals for them to fully take effect. Many non-Roku techs don't know or take it into account.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
rockworm
Level 9

Jump to solution
Ok, same issue.

I will note that after the removal, reboot, reinstall, play an episode .. the problem shows up differently for the 1st show.  It still dies, but with the infinite cylon graphic.  Thereafter, the problem shows up as the "we're having trouble loading this right now".
0 Kudos
rockworm
Level 9

Jump to solution
Last 3 shows - the cylon graphics (rolling ------) at the end, forcing exit of the app.  Hulu can't help me (although I am sure if their programmers were involved they could).

Any help?
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Jump to solution
I've been watching Hulu in the  evening hours, and haven't encountered this issue at all.

Assuming you're wireless, how far away is the Roku from the router?  Have you tried rebooting the router (be sure to unplug the Roku before rebooting the router)?
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
rockworm
Level 9

Jump to solution
Yes - that was also suggested by Hulu.  No help. I ever tried various frequencies. (about 250 ft is the normal distance).

I think I even ran wired to it once and it happened, but I ma not sure about that.  I can try that...

It happens in exactly 1 spot..  A show ends, and it wants to load the next episode.  Other than that, I have zero network issues whatsoever.  100% reproducible any time day or night.  Also happens on my roku stick the exact same problem.
0 Kudos
rockworm
Level 9

Jump to solution
Bump... No ideas?
0 Kudos