Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku Express- Can’t find Apps

Hello!

Purchased a Roku express box from Amazon. Installed it, did everything as it asked and can’t seem to find NOW TV or BBC iPlayer in the apps or by searching. I’ve been on the phone to NowTV and they can’t help as they said it’s a roku issue! Is this because it’s a USA version and not U.K.? Wish I didn’t bother purchasing now!!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: Roku Express- Can’t find Apps

@x33619x wrote:

Hello!

Purchased a Roku express box from Amazon. Installed it, did everything as it asked and can’t seem to find NOW TV or BBC iPlayer in the apps or by searching. I’ve been on the phone to NowTV and they can’t help as they said it’s a roku issue! Is this because it’s a USA version and not U.K.? Wish I didn’t bother purchasing now!!

For channels/apps that are restricted by geographical location (such as iPlayer), you need two things. First, your Roku user account must be based in that country. If you had a VPN running on your computer when you created your user account, it's possible it's tagged as another location. The second is that the Roku device must appear to be connected to the Internet in that same country. Again, if there's a VPN in use on your network, your device might appear to be in another location. 

It shouldn't matter if the Roku device was purchased in a different country, but it must be registered and located as noted above. If you aren't located in the UK, you will not be able to install iPlayer. I'm unfamiliar with Now TV, but it might have the same restriction. And for whatever reason, there does appear to be some UK locations that their IP address is reporting them as outside the UK. I can't offer any assistance with resolving that, if that is your issue. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos