Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku Express (3930) with Plex - Stutters when transcoding 5.1 audio to 2.0

Hello, I just picked up a Roku Express (Canadian model 3930CA) and everything works well except for a little snag within the Plex app.  I prefer to direct play/stream my files (everything I have is encoded in h/x.264 AVC format in .mkv, .mp4, and .m4v containers).  When I play files that contain an AAC 2.0 audio stream, the video plays back fine.  However, when I attempt to play a file that only contains surround streams that need to be transcoded to 2.0 (e.g. 5.1 DD or DTS) then the picture stutters.

The same thing happens when I disable direct play and use direct stream only, and when I disable direct stream and go into full transcode mode.  When transcoding only the audio, the CPU never goes above 1-2% so it shouldn't be a problem with my PC or Plex.

My Roku Express is running OS 9.2.1.  It's connected to my AC 5GHz wifi, and it's showing excellent signal strength. The files are a mix of 23.997 / 24 / 59.94 fps (nothing with variable frame rates) and mostly weren't encoded with more than 5 reference frames.

My only choices in Roku settings for Audio Mode are "Stereo" and "Auto (Stereo)".  HDMI Audio correctly auto-detects that the TV is stereo.

I've searched through the postings but after going through everything above, the only thing I see left is to change an option that isn't on my Express model, i.e. changing the display refresh rate.

Has anyone else had this problem?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku Express (3930) with Plex - Stutters when transcoding 5.1 audio to 2.0

Hi, I have exactly the same problem with my 3930. I have a stereo only system and when 5.1 audio is transcoded to AAC 2.0, it stutters. It plays perfectly fine with 2.0 soundtracks. The CPU on my server never goes higher than 10% in peaks while trancoding.

0 Kudos