Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku ESPN Channel now SD

I have used ESPNwatch for tennis matches in HD for several years. There is a distribution agreement between ESPN and Charter Spectrum Internet. Recently the app changed to the Roku ESPN Channel and with the change the picture no longer snaps into HD a few seconds after hitting play but stays in SD permanently. Is anyone else having this problem?
I searched the internet for answers (and found many problems with ESPN streams) but not my specific problem. I'm unsure whether the problem lay with ESPN, Spectrum or Roku or who to contact about getting this fixed.
Is this a ploy for us to upgrade to ESPN+. If so, ESPN is welcome to $5/month for HD, as long as HD is guaranteed. If so, I'm sure there is a 7day free trial I could try to verify HD. If ESPN+ is also in SD how hard is it to stop ESPN charging your credit card?
Thanks, Trevor.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
bwaldron
Level 9

Re: Roku ESPN Channel now SD

I am also seeing this since the most recent update of the ESPN app in the last week or so. They seemed to have "fixed" the issue with the previous version (see https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=96003) whereby the streams would exhibit extremely choppy video when they kicked into high quality mode -- by never allowing the streams to show in higher quality. I do pay for ESPN+, and -- although some of the ESPN+ content does work properly in 1080p 60fps now -- the problems with other content in lower resolution exist regardless . Luckily I have a Chromecast that allows me to watch the programs in the proper quality until this is fixed.
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply. Could you explain your Chromecast solution in a little more detail?

From your comments it appears signing up for ESPN+ may not be a solution?
0 Kudos
bwaldron
Level 9

"Trevor_Bartram" wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Could you explain your Chromecast solution in a little more detail?

From your comments it appears signing up for ESPN+ may not be a solution?

The Chromecast v3 plays 60fps video at 1080p (earlier versions did not); I keep it as an alternate/backup streaming source for sports. Prefer using the Roku with its remote control rather than casting from my Android phone, though. No, subscribing to ESPN+ won't be a solution for you (though the ESPN+-specific content appears to be streaming properly, other content is streaming at lower resolution than it should). ESPN needs to fix their Roku app.
0 Kudos

So your phone connects to your home WiFi and Chromecast effectively bypassing the Roku. I assume you log into an ESPNwatch webpage and it detects you are a valid user. I assume ESPNwatch appears on the TV screen and you have to use the phone controls to navigate the screen?
Do you have to go thru this procedure every time to watch ESPN?
0 Kudos
bwaldron
Level 9

Yes. I'm sure you can find better explanations on the web, but -- you can think of the Chromecast as a "remote-less" Roku. It connects to an HDMI port on your TV, and you use your phone, tablet, or Chrome browser on your computer to control it. So, I open the ESPN app on my phone and select a stream to watch. I then click the "cast" button and choose my Chromecast as the playback target. This transfers playback to my Chromecast/TV (behind the scenes it is connecting the Chromecast directly to the stream, so your phone is no longer needed unless/until you want to pause or stop playback).

It all works fine, but I prefer using a traditional remote control rather than using my phone or tablet.
0 Kudos