Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Roku Channel parental controls?

I have not been able to find any information about how to block R-rated movies on the Roku Channel.  All I can find from Roku is https://support.roku.com/article/208755938-how-to-block-content-using-parental-controls, which says "It is therefore the responsibility of the channel provider to provide parental controls for their content within their channel."  So it seems like it would be Roku's responsibility to provide parental controls for the Roku Channel.

If there is no way to block R-rated content within the Roku Channel, then I guess my only option is to delete the Roku Channel.  I have already created a PIN and set my settings to require a PIN to add channels.  This would be too bad, as it seems like there is a lot of content on the Roku Channel that would be nice to have available for my family.
5 Replies
Highlighted
Level 10

Re: Roku Channel parental controls?

Not yet.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Update: this issue was fixed thanks to Danny below. I do however have a new issue where the roku channel itself allows my kid to play youtube videos which I do not approve of.

I can not find a way to prevent my kid from adding channels I do not approve of. Please Roku add a feature that prevents this if we want, & please have it be so ppl do not have to buy a new device for this to happen as i love my streaming stick & dont want to buy another one (ive bought many already) 

Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi,

Thanks for the inquiry.

We would recommend using a PIN on your Roku account to limit the ability to add channels from the Channel Store. It would also be helpful utilizing the Parental Controls available on channels.

For more information on PINs and Parental Controls, visit our Support pages here:
How do I create or update the PIN for my Roku account?
How do I block content using parental controls?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Highlighted
Level 7

I have the same issue. I have the PIN set up and only a few channels, all of which are kid-friendly. However, the movies that Roku has in the movie feed are horrible. It isn't a channel per say, so I can't figure out how to block or delete these movies.

They are ones that would require payment to access - so technically the kids can't watch them without the PIN - but they still see the inappropriate picture/title for the movie. (Sex in the Convent - really??)

Highlighted
Level 7

This is on the Parental Controls section:

Note: Setting a PIN does not allow you to control movie and TV shows that can be viewed on your Roku player by maturity rating.

Please fix this, Roku. Parents should have an option on Roku itself to set the maturity ratings.