Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PavloRed
Level 8

Roku Channel in Ukraine

Hi There, 

Roku Channel is not available in my country - Ukraine.

Do you have plans to release it for other markets, including Ukraine? 

What is the dependancy of releasing or not? 

Pavlo

0 Kudos
4 Replies
fluke
Level 13

Re: Roku Channel in Ukraine

I can't speak for Roku's plans to release the Roku channel in other markets.  It would be nice to believe they will continue to expand but I don't work for Roku so I don't have the numbers on what the risk/reward would be.

The dependencies (as far as I understand it) is licensing material and getting advertisers to fund that licensing.  Both of these are region specific.  Access to carry movies and TV shows can be negotiated at different prices depending on region based on multiple factors.  Also, what movies and TV shows attract advertisers can vary between regions.

If you want to get a feel for where the company is going moving forward, I would recommend looking at the open job postings.  Currently there is postings for software engineers in UK and Denmark.  But positions in Ad leads remain largely in USA cities.  It is my belief that before the Roku Channel expands into more European countries that you will see job posting for people that would be the most familiar with those regions.

PavloRed
Level 8

Thanks, fluke, that is very kind of you to give such a detailed answer. I like and use Roku Express in Ukraine and know several friends who use it too. 

Usually Roku refers to other content providers that they do not localise products. However now it is totally dependent on Roku to go into the market, and find advertisers etc. Two their product are missing: mobile app and Roku Channel. 

0 Kudos
fluke
Level 13

If you are looking for the mobile app for having a Roku remote on Android then I recommend looking for the Roku Remote by William Seemann in the Play store or F-Droid store.

For the content in the Roku Channel, you will need to seek other sources for now.  There is also no guarantee Roku Channel in the Ukraine once released will have the same programs as in the USA.

0 Kudos
PavloRed
Level 8

I know remote apps. There are some paid for iOS even. Official would anyway be better. 

And true about channel content. Still I expect that posting here shows at least some interest to the market and warm up Roku bizdev team. Internet use in Ukraine is booming, and video steaming too. Esp after we had some changes in free state TV broadcasting, that stopped recently. A lot of people are switching onto youtube and other services. Tv Boxes are in stable demand, additionally to that alot of content is posted online.   

0 Kudos