Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tgi007
Level 7

Roku Channel app: "not yet supported for your region"

I am located in Florida, USA (Palm Beach County). I installed Roku Channel app for Android 1.3.0.558330 today to set up for future viewing on my phone.

I first chose the "continue without logging in" option, and it progressed to an error screen saying "This app is not yet supported for your region".

Well, if I turn off Wi-Fi and use cellular data (Google Fi) it works fine (when using mobile/cellular data it connects using an outbound IP address of 172.58.174.144).

If I turn on Wi-Fi and use my ISP (Hotwire Communications / www.GetHotwired.com) then it fails (Hotwire connects using an outbound IP address of 170.250.55.248).

This suggests that my ISP has been deemed OUTSIDE of the USA. What steps do I need to get this corrected? I can't seem to get past Roku's "gatekeeper" screening for any question I attempt to submit to Support.

Obviously I want to use Wi-Fi instead of (metered and costs-additional-money) cellular/mobile data.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DBDukes
Level 15

Re: Roku Channel app: "not yet supported for your region"

And, you aren’t connecting using VPN, right?

Assuming that, I would suggest reaching out to your ISP and see what’s up. If a standard US IP address was considered outside the country, all of their customers that use Roku would be affected. There appears to be no such issue going on. That indicates you’re doing something to get listed outside the US (such as a VPN) or your ISP has something set up wrong. 

DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Streambar (9102)
Roku Streaming Stick+ (3810)
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 20

When on your computer, connected to your home network, go to a website like https://whatismyipaddress.com/ to determine where your IP says you are located.  Note that if you are using a VPN on your normal net connection it can mask/misreport your location.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
tgi007
Level 7

Sorry, I should have mentioned no VPN involved. The IP address Hotwire Communications is using (170.250.55.248) is correctly shown as Boynton Beach, Florida, USA on numerous "what is my IP" web tools, so I have to guess that Roku Channel is using a defective database to validate my location. The Google Fi IP address (172.58.174.144) shows as Orlando, Florida, USA, so there's no justification for the different behavior.

Any suggestions for what buzzword choices to use in attempting to reach a human at Roku Channel? It's new enough that they don't even have it as a choice in the Support interface.

0 Kudos
tgi007
Level 7

Oh, and the question of "all the ISP's customers using Roku would be having the same trouble" would only apply to that subset of customers that are trying to view the new Roku Channel. All other Roku functions are working fine. It's ONLY attempts to stream Roku Channel that are failing.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 15

@tgi007 wrote:

Any suggestions for what buzzword choices to use in attempting to reach a human at Roku Channel? It's new enough that they don't even have it as a choice in the Support interface.

No such thing as a secret method to get in touch with a human at Roku. Well, you could move to California and get hired at Roku, but barring that...

@tgi007 wrote:

Oh, and the question of "all the ISP's customers using Roku would be having the same trouble" would only apply to that subset of customers that are trying to view the new Roku Channel. ...

True, but the Roku Channel isn't exactly new. It's been around nearly four years. It launched in September 2017.

I suspect the best bet is for one of the Roku employees to happen by, perhaps @RokuDanny-R will drop by soon, and offer a suggestion.

With everything you're saying, unless there's some other tidbit that makes the difference, it does sound like Roku's database of IP Addresses is wrong.

DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Streambar (9102)
Roku Streaming Stick+ (3810)
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 20

Do you get shut out if you go to therokuchannel.com in a web browser?

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos