Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
QuiGonJohn
Roku Guru

Roku Channel Problems - Skip Intro & Ads

Been watching Crossing Jordan on Roku Channel. The last few days I have seen two problems.

1. After a bit of the show plays, it goes to the shows theme/intro. Now the "Skip Intro" button only appears for an instant. Well even if I have my finger on OK and press it right away, instead of skipping the intro, a big black box comes up at the bottom of the screen with information about the show. Didn't used to do this. How can this be resolved.

2. Ad Display - at the same time the above started, the ads now show the total time of the ads vs. 1 of 4 or 1 of 5, etc. Did I accidentally click something that made this change or was this done on Roku's end? Also, why have the commercial counts jumped way up. Now almost every break has 5. When I began watching this series, the most was 3 in each break, and sometimes that was even 2 or 1.

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
ellen-l
Streaming Star

Re: Roku Channel Problems - Skip Intro & Ads

Since December 1st I have been noticing this behavior as well.  At first I thought it was because I started watching a newly added show (Arrested Development and 30 Rock), but today to test this theory I tried a show that I watched in the past (**bleep** on Wheels) that I know did not have this issue and sure enough the problem was there.

I can't say this happens every time but it does happen like 98% of the time for me.  I believe I have seen different behavior for the same episode.

Unlike what @QuiGonJohn said, I have been experiencing the nice description of the show when you hit select on the remote for a while and do not think it is related to what we are both experiencing.

I have verified this issue on multiple devices (TCL Roku TV, Roku Streambar and a Roku 3).  I also verified this is not an issue on other channels I use (Prime Video, Peacock, Tubi).  

I also noticed the change from showing ad count to ad break time that @QuiGonJohn mentioned, this change also starting happening on December 1st.  For me I am not concerned about this.

For all three devices I did update OS and The Roku Channel but the problem is still there, For the Streambar I unplugged it and even re-installed The Roku Channel but the problem is still there.  Below are the devices with some info:

TCL Roku TV 7105X, 10.5.0 build 4208-30, TRC 6.0 build 15
Streambar 9102R, 10.5.0 build 4201-95, TRC 6.0 build 15
Roku 3 4200X, 10.5.0 build 4208-04, TRC 6.0 build 15

0 Kudos
ellen-l
Streaming Star

One more thing, it isn't just the Skip Intro.  It is also the Play Next Episode at the end of a show.  Sometimes the Skip Intro behaves as expected while the Play Next Episode does not, vice versa, and sometimes they both don't work.

0 Kudos
ellen-l
Streaming Star

I noticed a couple of patterns today, using Arrested Development for these...

When I selected a new episode, the "Skip Introduction" displayed, stayed on the screen and functioned properly every time. When the show goes to the next episode it is random on if it works or not.

At the end of each Arrested Development episode, there is a "On the Next Episode of Arrested Development."  If I FF the show to the credits before that part is finished, the "Watch Next Episode" pop-up works every time.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

I have passed along your concerns and information to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further. Once more information is available, I'll be sure to update the Community.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ellen-l
Streaming Star

Thanks @RokuDanny-R 

Today I noticed that the "Skip Introduction" and "Play Next Episode" started working once again (Played four episodes of Arrested Development with no issues).

0 Kudos
Lxhall

Danny R. Were you fired? No update on this problem in 4 months. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Lxhall

Thanks for the follow up.

I currently do not have an update regarding this issue that I can provide at this time. However, I have passed along your concerns to the appropriate Roku team to follow up. Once more information is available, I'll be sure to update this Community thread.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Cwi

I am still having this problem.

0 Kudos
QuiGonJohn
Roku Guru