Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
braylor
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku Channel Not Playing Videos On TCL Roku TVs

We went through that entire process again, including the DNS flush, and still Roku Channel won't play videos on the TCL Roku TVs, and we get the 451 Error on the Windows 10 laptop.

We have a message in to the Netgear support community about the issue. So far the only suggestion has been a Factory Reset, which we've done.

We're trying to find an earlier version of the firmware to manually install it on the RAX70 router. It has to be the firmware because we didn't have this issue until about a month ago. Which is also around when we updated the firmware on the router. We've ruled everything out.

Thank you very much for your continued assistance with this.

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@braylor 

Looks the RAX70 had a firmware update released on May 4, 2022. (version  1.0.12.114).

You can certainly try installing the previous version ( 1.0.12.112).  The simplest way is to download the file to your computer and then use the Update feature within your router and point to this file when asked. (ignore generated warnings about risks of installling older firmware).  After performing a firmware update or revert, complete an initial setup and see if working to connect to internet.  If successful, then it is always a good idea to again Factory Reset the router to clear out any settings/configuration left over from the update or previous firmwares. [In your case, you may want to skip this step if your router is automatically updating your firmware during setup after a Reset, or look for setting to disable automatic updates.  Sometimes removing internet connection will also avoid the update during the Reset.]

You can find your previous RAX70 firmware versions on the Netgear support site. (https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rax70.aspx#download).  Under the Current Version you will see a + sign menu (Previous Versions).  Normally best to revert one firmware at a time during troubleshooting.

Caveat - Just be patient during any firmware update or revert and do not turn off router during process. (even when it looks stalled).  I would also suggest using an ethernet connection between the laptop/computer and the router when doing the above procedure.  Loss of network connection during this process using wifi rather than wired will cause a headache. (Of course, provides you the additional opportunity to learn even more advanced router skills 🙂 when this occurs.)

99% of firmware upgrades/reverts go smoothly.  Just the 1% that is a bugger sometimes to remedy.

Good luck and feel free to post an update.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

braylor
Binge Watcher

We applied all new previous firmware versions available for RAX70 but we're still getting Error 451.

For every previous firmware version, we rebooted everything before trying to play video from the Roku Channel in a browser on Windows 10 laptop. We tried Factory Reset of the RAX70 again as well but it won't let us bypass updating the firmware.

We're not sure why rolling back the firmware didn't work, but there must be some setting on the RAX70 causing the block that we can't figure out. Especially since there was no issue a month ago and we can play video on the Roku Channel just fine with either VPN or plugging into modem directly.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@braylor 

When you reverted back to a previous firmware version, did you also try to load the Roku Channel from one of your RokuTVs?

Try setting your RAX70 DNS (all of them) to 0.0.0.0 and see if that will force them to resolve the modem's DNS.  (There may be an issue how this router is handling the Port 53 DNS).

This may turn out that there is something internal going on with this router (whether or not affected by the last firmware revision, who knows, no one will ever admit, and hard to figure out.)

Normal course after this would be swap out this router (either identical model for continued testing) or with another brand and see if issue is resolved.  There are a number of dissatisfied customers with this RAX70 router online and they found replacing their router fixed their various issues.  Some went with another RAX70, others regretted doing so.  However, each situation is different, so tough to say.

Personally, I think you are at the point where replacing the router is the next step unless Netgear is able to provide any additional info. (I did see your posting on their community as well.)  They really don't like people digging around in the router so most questions will go unanswered there, but sometimes a community member is able to sneak in a helpful response before it is removed.

Spectrum hasn't updated their compatibility list in a couple years, so also difficult to rule out if there is some compatibility issue between the two going as well as a contributing factor.  A change at either end may be coming into play and cannot be ruled out, even though working a month ago.

(https://www.smartmove.us/learn/devices/a-list-of-approved-modems-and-routers-for-spectrum,-comcast-x...) and also (https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/compliant-modems-spectrum-network/).

braylor
Binge Watcher

We tried the wired TCL Roku TV as well, in addition to checking via browser. The browser actually shows Error 451 whereas Roku app goes right back to the show page.

Changing DNS to 0.0.0.0. on the router gave a valid DNS address error. So we tried all 8.8.8.8. and then all 1.1.1.1., and ran the ipconfig /flushdns command also, each time. None of that worked either.

We haven't received any assistance over in the Netgear community beyond the question about firmware, modem, and suggesting Factory Reset.

That is the unfortunate conclusion we've come to as well - there's something wrong with the router that we probably can't fix. The RAX70 wasn't cheap so we'll have to check how long we've had it, if it's still under warranty. If it isn't, we'll need to look into routers again. We had a tri-band ASUS before this that was just okay. We have about 40 devices that access the router at any given time so tri-band has worked great otherwise.

Thanks again for all your assistance!

AvsGunnar

@braylor 

Since you seem to have a pretty good understanding on how these networks work and can be configured, you could buy a modem/router(combo) that is compatible with Spectrum.  You can then use this new modem/router only for your Roku devices and then use the RAX70 for your other devices.

You would assign them assign different LAN IP addresses (ie. 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1), and enable both routers to use their DHCP servers.  This would essentially give you 2 different networks.  One network used for the Roku devices (the new modem/router operating on 192.168.0.1), the other for your devices. (RAX operating on 192.168.1.1).  You can even try this with your Asus if you still have it.

Just something you can consider and look into as an option.  Always a bummer when an expensive router starts to have issues.  Who knows, maybe a future firmware update or patch will fix issue as well.

Good luck and feel free to post an update or if you have any more questions.

braylor
Binge Watcher

Thank you for all the suggestions! We may do that then.

The ASUS completely died, or else would've gone back to it during the narrowing down process.

Thanks again! This Roku community has been great and extremely helpful!

0 Kudos
braylor
Binge Watcher

@AvsGunnar

If we decide to completely replace the RAX70 (we've started having other issues where it's dropping devices as well) what would you suggest?

We might go back to Asus. Or try TP-Link. We've sworn off Linksys and now Netgear.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@braylor 

I am always hesitant to recommend hardware to purchase because user and network needs are so different.  Because you have so many devices (I think I remember you mentioned 43), it probably is a good idea to stick with a triband AX (Wifi 6) router.  If you want to consider the future, then even a 6E router will be ready whenever 6ghz devices begin being more compatible. 

I personally don't purchase with the hype of future device compatibility but really just look at what devices I have (and reasonably may have in future) that may need support.  Additionally, I would just add additional routers to a network to support additional devices (which then provides me a backup router for all my devices to connect to  if I experience a failure or network issue.)  This is the method I described to you in the previous post.  Additional routers let me use them in variety of modes (router, access point, repeater, extender, etc.)  Rather than buy 1 expensive router, I prefer to build a system out of reasonably priced (or even dirt cheap) routers.  But that is what works for me.

I like the TP-Link and Linksys brands.  They have reasonably priced tri-band routers for both AC(wifi 5) and AX (wifi6) and are still configurable by the end-user.   I also have older Netgear Nighthawks but they have custom firmware installed, so can no longer speak to the integrity of Netgear firmware.  I still use AC routers in my setup, but when the time comes for replacement or upgrade, will likely opt for an AX router due to the fact you are getting some newer and faster technology (and better device management) regarding the newer wireless standards being developed and released.  If you have a lot of newer devices (or gaming requirements), then certainly only consider an AX (wifi6) tri-band router.

Best advice I can offer is to avoid or at least be skeptical of the top 10 lists you find on the internet on the latest and greatest.  Most of these reviewers hook them up, show and tell you how fast they are, box them back up, and send them back to the manufacturer.  They then provide an affiliate link for you to purchase.   Really need to look at real user reviews of how they function, how long they last, and if a common problem is being reported.  Kind of recommend buying "last years" model so at least some track record is available.

braylor
Binge Watcher

@AvsGunnar

Understandable. We'll stick with a Triband AX WiFi 6 router. If we don't go back to Asus - it worked well with Spectrum and only died after working great for many years - we'll look into TP-Link.

Thanks again for all the help!