Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Channel Not Playing Videos On TCL Roku TVs

@braylor 

Some Spectrum/Charter customers have experienced the "We don't block anything" response and then find their devices will begin working shortly thereafter. 

Try using another web browser and see if you still get same 451 error.  (Additionally, clear the cache of the original web browser before reloading the online Roku Channel).

-----

Next step for me would be to either check for the latest router firmware available, or alternatively, see if I could install the previous version of firmware. 

Otherwise, I would Factory Reset the Netgear Router to see if that clears out perhaps a corrupted update or other corrupted data.  If using a Spectrum modem with your Netgear router, make sure to restart that as well before and after the Factory Reset.  

Do you have both a Spectrum provided modem/router and Netgear router in this network setup?  

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

braylor
Binge Watcher

We tried two other browsers and they still give the 451 error.

Modem is Spectrum's and RAX70 router is our personal one. We checked for new firmware before and after rebooting modem and router. There was no update. We usually keep our firmware updated. We can look into rolling the version back, though.

Most likely we'll factory reset the router. But it'll have to wait until it won't interfere with work and all the family's streaming since it'll be a lot more work than just rebooting.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@braylor 

If the Spectrum equipment is a modem only, then I think the Factory Reset of RAX70 is probably best shot.  If the Spectrum equipment is a modem/router, then you can try disconnecting the RAX70 from network, (make sure to also unplug so as to disable radio transmission), use the Spectrum provided router (in router mode), and see if that resolves issue.

Just hard to know how your network is configured.  If the network is configured properly with the RAX70 serving in "router mode" and handling DHCP server requests, the DNS changes should have worked, especially when you did them directly at laptop for browser test.  It makes me wonder if the Spectrum equipment is a modem/router and not correctly set to "bridge mode" (thereby disabling its DHCP server).  However, if your equipment is modem-only (no router capability), then this can be eliminated as culprit.

If the Spectrum equipment is improperly configured, can be causing a conflict if acting as DHCP server as may be resorting back to its DNS address resolving even after making changes in other router. (should not be able to override changes made at the device level though (laptop).  Same of course, goes for the RAX70.

-----

So first, I would see if removing the RAX70 from network solves issue. If can't be done, (because Spectrum is modem-only), then perform the Factory Reset of the router.  

Feel free to continue posting updates.  👍

braylor
Binge Watcher

Modem is Spectrum E31U2V1 DocSIS 3.1 eMTA cable modem. Looking at it and looking up the specs, it doesn't indicate it's also a router. So that doesn't seem to be the issue or configuration.

If Spectrum really isn't blocking, the only other issue can be the RAX70 router. Using VPN confirmed it since Roku Channel plays videos just fine then.

Once we have time and opportunity, we'll perform Factory Reset on the RAX70 and see it that resolves it. We'll post an update once we do.

Thanks again for your help!

AvsGunnar

@braylor 

You are correct, that is modem only.

One more thought then for a test.  Disconnect the ethernet cable that is running between Spectrum modem and the RAX70, and plug the ethernet cable directly into your laptop from the Spectrum modem.  Then see how the online Roku Channel performs for you.

The above test removes the RAX70 from the equation and will use the DNS servers and internet settings you now have setup in the laptop and will be directly using the WAN (internet connection) directly from the modem.

This should give you a quick test without inconveniencing your household too much. 

braylor
Binge Watcher

We connected both a laptop and then one of the TCL Roku TVs directly to the modem, after rebooting. We were able to access Roku Channel just fine. It's confirmed to be the router, and Spectrum isn't blocking it.

Now we need time and opportunity to Factory Reset and re-setup the RAX70, hopefully avoiding whatever settings or firmware that caused this issue in the first place.

Thanks for all the help narrowing down the issue!

renojim

If that router has any kind of ad blocking or uses some special DNS server try disabling it and/or using 8.8.8.8 as its DNS server.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
braylor
Binge Watcher

We performed a factory reset on the RAX70 and it's still blocking Roku Channel - Error 451.

Armor and Parental Controls haven't been enabled. The only changes made were the admin password and name of the SSIDs.

Could this be a firmware issue? It didn't give us a chance to not update the firmware. It did it automatically during setup.

0 Kudos
braylor
Binge Watcher

DNS is set to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 but it's still blocking Roku Channel - Error 451 - even after factory reset of router. We've confirmed it's the router since the Channel can be accessed direct through the modem. No idea what setting on the router is causing it, though. Armor and Parental Controls aren't enabled.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@braylor 

Running into this same issue with another user that is using different ISP/different Router, and different (Nokia) modem.  (https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/Cannot-play-anything-on-Roku-channel-only/td-...).

Edited/Update - User in linked thread purchased Linksys AC1900 router to replace problem Asus router and issue is resolved.

-----

Last ditch effort now that everything is Reset on router end.

1. Remove the Roku Channel again.  Restart your Roku Device.

2. Perform the Network Connection Reset again. (Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Network Connection Reset/Reset Network Connection).

3. Reinstall the Roku Channel.

4. Perform a Manual System Update. (Settings/System/System Update/Check Now).  

5. Launch the Roku Channel and see if it now works.

6. On your computer, try flushing the DNS cache before launching Roku Channel. (https://blog.hubspot.com/website/flush-dns).  Follow steps for your appropriate OS.

7. Try using an ethernet cable between the laptop and router and see if similar results.

8. If DNS flush works for the laptop connection, then Factory Reset the Roku device.  If it doesn't, I probably would not bother Factory Reset until you just want to rule it out as a troubleshooting step.

----------

The two options I would pursue is to contact the ISP again (let them know about your issue and the troubleshooting), and request a different modem.  I would then contact Netgear and see if they can look into their firmware for a potential conflict with the Spectrum E31U2V1 DocSIS 3.1 eMTA cable modem.  

It is unreasonable for you to try, so don't bother with it, but at this point, I would physically flash a previous firmware to my Netgear router.  If I was able to get a previous version to work, that would give me a starting point to start narrowing down whether router or modem issue.  If I couldn't get a firmware version to once again start working/resolve issue, that would point to a modem conflict/issue as culprit.  If a previous firmware version worked, then can see which firmware version of my router is responsible for issue.

In your case, it is best to contact both the ISP and the router manufacturer and let the techs and those that get paid to do this to find you a working solution.

Unfortunately, I think you have taken all the reasonable steps and have exhausted what you can do from your end.  You can certainly point them to this discussion for reference.

Make sure you post an update if you learn something.  (I am leaning toward Netgear firmware at this point though.)

Will tag @RokuDanny-R , @RokuKariza-D , and @RokuMary-F to see if maybe Roku engineers can verify nothing on Roku end known to be contributing factor with this router.