Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
azurenepsa
Level 7

Roku Channel Cinemax movie w/ inaudible dialogue

I'm on a free trial of Cinemax through the Roku Channel, and the movie Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri plays with very quiet, inaudible dialogue.  The score and ambient sounds are much louder.  I've determined this is happening because the center (and rear) channels are not coming through on my Yamaha RX-V371 receiver.

Every other movie I've played on Cinemax through the Roku Channel is DD+ 5.1, and the sound is just fine.  All channels come through on my receiver.  I've tried removing power from my Roku Ultra 4640 (OS 9.0.0 build 4142-29) and other devices, but the problem still remains with Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.  I even tried setting my Roku to PCM Stereo output, but the dialogue is still inaudible with the score much louder.  I also tried toggling Volume Leveling and Night Mode, but that had no effect.

I was planning to keep my Roku Channel Cinemax subscription after my free trial, but I won't if this movie file won't play correctly.

Edit:  The movie is also playing incorrectly at the Roku Channel's website, so I'd think there'd have to be a problem with the file.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Tonya_G
Level 7

Re: Roku Channel Cinemax movie w/ inaudible dialogue

Yea, the audio is messed up on this movie. It's like watching a press conference, and the person who is speaking's microphone is not working or they are a person who doesn't have a microphone in the press conference. I have my Roku attached directly to my Sharp TV that I have had since 2008, that works well with my Roku Ultra, and I have tried the different volume modes on my Roku Ultra and nothing fixes it.

This looks like a good movie and now I am interested in seeing it. I'm also in a 7 day trial of Cinemax. (Roku needs to fix this.)
0 Kudos
Tonya_G
Level 7

Just to see if it was a Cinemax problem, I went to the MaxGo website on my laptop where you can login with someone's credentials that is subscribed to Cinemax through their cable company which is what I did and the Three Billboards movie played fine with NO audio problems - the audio was perfect!!! So, there is only a problem with the copy of the movie that the Roku Channel has for it's Cinemax subscription.
0 Kudos
azurenepsa
Level 7

"Tonya G" wrote:
Just to see if it was a Cinemax problem, I went to the MaxGo website on my laptop where you can login with someone's credentials that is subscribed to Cinemax through their cable company which is what I did and the Three Billboards movie played fine with NO audio problems - the audio was perfect!!! So, there is only a problem with the copy of the movie that the Roku Channel has for it's Cinemax subscription.

It would be nice if Roku Channel premium subscriptions included access to the premium channels' own apps.  That way you'd have a fallback in case you run into issues with playback in one of the apps.
0 Kudos
Tonya_G
Level 7

"azurenepsa" wrote:
"Tonya G" wrote:

It would be nice if Roku Channel premium subscriptions included access to the premium channels' own apps.  That way you'd have a fallback in case you run into issues with playback in one of the apps.

Yea, I was thinking that when I signed into the MaxGo website with someone else's credentials. But, I wish the Cinemax/MaxGo website would allow casting to Chromecast like HBOGo does. I am having to use the "Cast Tab" option to cast the movie to Chromecast - It's just mirroring the tab and it doesn't play smooth, very glitchy - Of course, I am using a 2011 Gateway Laptop that does have 6gb of Memory and an Intel i3 processor, but I guess it's too old now. The MaxGo android app still doesn't allow casting.

Also, Roku doesn't have Cinemax as a standalone channel where you can sign in using your cable account credentials. So, the only way, even if you are subscribed to Cinemax through your cable company, to be able to have access and watch a movie from Cinemax's collection of On Demand movies on your TV and it play good is to pay for another subscription through the Roku Channel, Amazon Prime w/Cinemax as an Add-on, and other services. It's ridiculous! Cinemax is just money hungry!
0 Kudos
azurenepsa
Level 7

It looks like the movie now plays correctly. I noticed when I checked late last night the movie was unavailable, but everything seems fine now.
0 Kudos