Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tonya_G
Level 7

Roku App Opens Movies in the Netflix Android App (Instead of the Netflix Channel on the Roku)

I like to search for movie titles using the Roku android app on my phone. When I search for a movie title such as Schindler's List and tap "See Viewing Options" and then tap on the Netflix option, a little white window pops up and says "You are now being directed to the Netflix mobile app." with the options Cancel and OK. If I tap OK, it opens up the Netflix app on my phone or if I have Netflix uninstalled on my phone, it takes me to the Play Store to install it. And if I tap on Cancel, it just takes me back to Viewing Options. (I want it to launch movie title available on Netflix on my Roku Ultra instead of the Netflix android app on my phone.)

I've already tried uninstalling the Roku app from my phone and restarting my phone then reinstalling it and it makes no difference. I also tried uninstalling Netflix from my Roku and restarting my Roku Ultra and reinstalling is and that also made no difference. Everything is up-to-date on my phone which is a LG Fiesta2 and is running Android 7.0 and my Roku Ultra is up-to-date.

I contacted Roku via phone and and all they had me do was unplug my Roku Ultra, then plug it back in and try it then. Then they had me uninstall Netflix from my Roku, then restart it and then reoinstall it which made no difference. And, then I was told that's all they're authorized to do and that they can't do anything with the configuration of the operating system and Roku app on my phone - something to that effect. I also contacted Netfix via phone and was on the phone for 11 minutes while a lady checked over things on my account, asked if I had uninstalled Netfix on my phone and on the Roku and tried reinstalling it on the Roku. She also asked me to try uninstalling the Roku app on my phone and reinstalling it which is what I did.

There is no problem launching movie or show titles available through Huu or Prime Video on the Roku Ultra though from the Roku android app  There's only a problem with launching movie or show titles available through Netflix (It won't launch Netflix on the Roku Ulta - it will only open the Netflix android app on my phone.)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: Roku App wants to open movie on Netflix Android App

It sounds like an OS problem with the phone..

If you have tried uninstalling the Roku app on your phone as well as the Netflix app on your phone, and reinstalled them, then it's got to be something embedded into the OS settings.

You unfortunately may have to reset the phone to factory defaults and start clean if you've tried all of the above.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 8

Fwiw that's the same behavior I see on my iPhone, meaning I search a movie on the Roku app, select it, select Netflix from viewing options and I'm then sent to the Netflix app on my phone, so I'm guessing it's a Netflix policy rather than a Roku policy.
0 Kudos
Tonya_G
Level 7

I see reviews for the Roku app in Google Play Store where other reviewers mentioned this problem as well. Can someone that has a Netflix subscription, a Roku Ultra, and the Roku app installed on their android phone (that has the 7.0 Android operating system) search for the Schindler's List movie (that is available on Netflix right now).through the Roku app on your phone, then tap on the name of the movie, then tap on 'See Viewing Options', then tap on the Netflix option? What I get is a small white box with purple lettering saying, "You are are now being directed to the Netflix mobile app." When it should just launch the movie on my Roku Ultra through Netflix.

I think the app developer for the Roku app overlooked the Roku Netflix launch option for movie and show titles that are found through searching on the Roku app. Or, it could possibly be that Netflix doesn't want this to work for some reason?
0 Kudos
Tonya_G
Level 7

I'm going to call Netflix back today. I was on the phone for 11 minutes and a lady customer service representative was looking into sone stuff and we got disconnected.

Netflix probably would rather you open up Netflix on the Roku to search, so you'll be bombarded with their auto previews for their movies and shows so you'll be enticed to watch other movies and shows besides what you're searching for. I know you can perform voice search and manual search on the Roku Ultra, but I like it better through the Roku app. Also, My Feed on the newly updated Roku app (Which contains all the movies and shows I have followed on my Roku 3 and Ultra) is no longer there.
0 Kudos
Tonya_G
Level 7

"ghb51" wrote:
Fwiw that's the same behavior I see on my iPhone, meaning I search a movie on the Roku app, select it, select Netflix from viewing options and I'm then sent to the Netflix app on my phone, so I'm guessing it's a Netflix policy rather than a Roku policy.

Thanks ghb51! I'm glad this is not just me! So, I guess I don't have to factory reset my android phone!!!

It looks like Roku and Netflix need to work together to allow the Roku android/iphone app to launch the Netflix Channel on the Roku instead of the Netflix android/iphone app on your phone when a title you've searched for through the Roku app has Netflix as a viewing option and you tap on that option. I wonder why Roku or Netflix is not allowing this?
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 8

"Tonya G" wrote:
"ghb51" wrote:

Thanks ghb51!   I'm glad this is not just me!  So, I guess I don't have to factory reset my android phone!!!

It looks like Roku and Netflix need to work together to allow the Roku android/iphone app to launch the Netflix Channel on the Roku instead of the Netflix android/iphone app on your phone when a title you've searched for through the Roku app has Netflix as a viewing option and you tap on that option. I wonder why Roku or Netflix is not allowing this?

I don't know, my guess would be what you said before, that Netflix just wants people using their app and no one else's, not sure why since you're going to end up watching Netflix one way or the other, but I can't think of any other reason.
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

"Tonya G" wrote:
I'm going to call Netflix back today. I was on the phone for 11 minutes and a lady customer service representative was looking into sone stuff and we got disconnected.

Wait... you called India for support and got disconnected?
Consider that a gift.
0 Kudos
Tonya_G
Level 7

"DubTaylor" wrote:
"Tonya G" wrote:

Wait... you called India for support and got disconnected?
Consider that a gift.

Actually, the lady from Netflix was American, but the lady I spoke with on the phone from Roku yesterday was from another country and I had trouble getting her to understand what I was saying. I was on the phone for 25 minutes with the lady from Roku and all we managed to do was unplug my Roku a couple of times and reinstall Netflix on my Roku a couple times. I also spent some time telling her what all I did on my phone with uninstalling the Roku App and Netflix app on my phone but she didn't seem to understand that there was a Roku app problem and only wanted to deal with the Netflix channel on the Roku. But, she was patient with me staying on the phone for 25 minutes like she did.
0 Kudos
speechles
Level 7

Re: Roku App wants to open movie in Netflix Android App

Once it is playing isn't there a cast icon in the the right corner of your phone? Click that and choose "Cast to Roku" or something similar. YouTube works this way. Netflix works this way. Most others work this way. Etc.

When you search on a device and find an item to play it isn't castable before playback. You initiate playback on the native device then cast to the second screen. When you do this the Roku will launch Netflix and start viewing where you were. Then your phone will turn into a quasi-remote if you want that as the Netflix interface on your phone. Otherwise now close the netflix app on your phone and watch the Roku and use the Roku remote. Either way. Choose your own adventure. Which do you choose? Bandersnatch. Oh well, let's try again.

You mean that isn't working?
0 Kudos