Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
roberto188
Level 7

Roku 3 - mpeg 2 support

With the 9.0 update my Roku 3 supports mpeg2 decoding!!!....but no deinterlacing Smiley Sad. I'm not exactly sure what non-interlaced mpeg2 content Roku expects people to play. Almost there Roku.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
renojim
Level 8

Re: Roku 3 - mpeg 2 support

Do you mean it doesn't deinterlace or it doesn't play interlaced recordings at all? My Roku 3 plays my interlaced WTV (1080i) recordings (after repackaging into MKV) just fine. By the way, there's plenty of 720p OTA stuff available (I believe Fox and perhaps other networks use 720p for their OTA broadcasts).

-JT
0 Kudos
roberto188
Level 7

It doesn't deinterlace. It plays interlaced content...like garbage. Yeah I get it...1/4 of TV is progressive. The other 3/4 of all mpeg 2 content isn't. Not particularly helpful.
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 8

I honestly can't tell the difference between the output from my WMC computer and my Roku 3 given the same recording and the same TV, so I'd have to disagree that it plays like garbage. Neither deinterlaces; it's up to the TV (and my eyeballs) to do that.

-JT
0 Kudos
roberto188
Level 7

Try something with fast motion like sports. It's unbearable to watch. Everything I blurry and nauseating. Also, how are you streaming it? Via Plex? Plex or Emby with both deinterlace on the server side for you so the Roku doesnt have to. Problem is deinterlacing and reencoding sucks server cpu horsepower. Just let the Roku deinterlace like the device hardware allows it to.
0 Kudos