Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ineq
Level 7

Roku 3 Apps Crash and defaults to Sony Crackle

I've been having a very weird (AND ANNOYING!) issue with my Roku 3 for the past week or so.  I've tried to search these forums but haven't had any luck finding anyone else with the same issue.   Here's some prelim information:

Connection: WIFI with great signal strength connected via HDMI to my TV.  My Roku/router/TV are located within inches of one another.
Resolution:  Default settings.  I believe its 1028 but the resolution should not relate to this issue.
Apps affected:  Everything, whether paid or not. 
Software:  Latest version (I know this is vague but I always keep my Roku software up to date)

General background information related to my issue:  When on the Roku 3 home screen you are able to navigate to the right and access certain apps, advertised shows, etc.  You press the direction pad on the remote twice to the right and it will navigate to the screen that I am referencing.  On my Roku, this happens to be Sony Crackle.  I don't use this app, nor is it installed on my system but the app page shows up with the option to "Install", "Remove", etc.     

Here's the deal:  No matter what app I open or use, if I use the directional pad to navigate to the right, the app will crash, the roku 3 will return to the home page and it will navigate itself to the Sony Crackle page per the above description.  I mainly use Netflix, Amazon, and ESPN, but it doesn't matter what app I am using.  It ALWAYS happens without fail after 3-5 times of navigating via the directional pad.  I've gone through multiple remotes and have done everything sans a complete reset of the entire system.  A full reset is my next step but I wanted to make sure there wasn't an easier fix or that others haven't been experiencing the same issue.   

This whole issue is rather hard to explain but I'm happy to provide pictures and answer any questions. 

Thanks!
0 Kudos
8 Replies
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: Roku 3 Apps Crash and defaults to Sony Crackle

"Ineq" wrote:
Software:  Latest version (I know this is vague but I always keep my Roku software up to date)

NEVER say "latest version." You may have 8.1 for all we know, since 9.0 is still rolling out to different users and their devices (2 of mine have 9.0, 1 has 8.1).

If it's an issue with 8.1 then it won't get fixed, since there are no further updates to 8.1 coming. If it's with 9.0, that might get fixed, if it's the software.

Again, NEVER say "latest version." ALWAYS provide the exact version.

As for your issue, I'll research when I know which of my devices to check on: running 9.0 or running 8.1
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Ineq
Level 7

Fair enough.  Here's my info:

8.1 build 4145-04.
Serial 1GH316033196 (not sure if you need this or not)

Based upon your post, it sounds like I may be up a creek unless I eventually get 9.0 and it resolves the issue. 
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

To me it sounds like a problem with the remote..

Try downloading the Roku app to your Android or iPhone, and just use that to navigate.. only as a troubleshooting step.

If it works fine, I'm wondering if there's something in your Roku 3's renote that is shortcutting to Crackle.

Also, while testing with the Roku app remote control, remove the batteries from your Roku 3 remote, just to rule out rogue button presses being sent.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
m3pwrofm3
Level 7

I noticed that my new remote is doing the same thing. We lost the remote that came with the roku 3 after our move so I got another one, it's constantly defaulting to that Sony Crackle add-on. It's really annoying to the point we don't really use the Roku anymore. Any help with this would be awesome.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"m3pwrofm3" wrote:
I noticed that my new remote is doing the same thing. We lost the remote that came with the roku 3 after our move so I got another one, it's constantly defaulting to that Sony Crackle add-on. It's really annoying to the point we don't really use the Roku anymore. Any help with this would be awesome.

What software version are you running? Don't say "latest" as that's usually meaningless; provide the actual version and build.

Does your new remote have a Sony Crackle shortcut button on it? What shortcut buttons does it have?
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 14

Does the old remote have crackle key, is it in a cushion being pressed every so often?
0 Kudos
klefe0704
Level 7

My roku is having the same issue. It’s on 9.1, the shortcut buttons are Netflix, Amazon, Sling, and Hulu. I don’t even have the Sony Crackle channel but if i press the buttons too fast it cuts to that screen. The remote came with the Roku. Anyone find a fix?
0 Kudos
StreamNow
Level 7

Any fix yet? I see others have the same issue and I do as well now.
0 Kudos