Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SusanMy
Level 7

Roku 2 Removed Sling and Won’t Reinstall it

Hoping the Community can help because, according to Roku, there is no agent or other technical support for my device (Roku 2). The issue is that Sling TV disappeared — yes, disappeared — from my channels, and when I try to reinstall it I get “Channel install failed. Could not add ‘Sling TV.’ Removing the channel, rebooting the Roku, and reinstalling doesn’t work because, of course, you can’t remove (and reinstall) a channel that won’t install to begin with.

I did a chat with Sling customer service which ended with the agent “elevating” my ticket to the black hole of their “Command Center.” I don’t expect to hear back from them. 

Has anybody found a way to solve the “Channel install failed” problem? It’s a huge issue for me right now because I have an Airbnb apartment attached to my house and Sling is supposed to be available for the guests who just checked in today. Smiley Sad

Thanks in advance!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8\
Al-P
Level 7

Re: Roku 2 Removed Channels and Won’t Reinstall Them

Same thing just happened to me, but with Disney+ and Hulu. It also has gotten worse after I restarted the Roku box. Now the Roku channel disappeared and can not be added. Logging on my account, it showed that Disney+ and Roku were installed. I logged out and then back in and now no channels show on my account page, but my hulu subscription does show. The Hulu channel is finally added, but does not do anything (goes back to the Roku home page).

Seems like there may be a/some system problems at Roku, maybe a bum Roku OS update. The Roku shows that it checked for updates a few hours ago. The box worked fine last night on both Hulu, ESPN+ and Disney+. I have a Roku 4200X.

0 Kudos
SusanMy
Level 7

Re: Roku 2 Removed Channels and Won’t Reinstall Them

OMG, my Hulu is also doing the same exact thing you just described! I removed the channel, restarted Roku, and reinstalled Hulu and yup, it just goes back to the Home Screen. So you’re out Disney & Hulu and I’m out Hulu & Sling. I agree that this seems related to Roku OS update shenanigans. Mine apparently updated itself at 11:24 this morning and it’s been downhill since then. Sling was also acting weird over the weekend, buffering and then blacking out. But at least I had the channel, unlike now. PITA, and even more annoying that Roku seems to have zero interest in fixing these glitches. 

0 Kudos
yahet
Level 8

Re: Roku 2 Removed Sling and Won’t Reinstall it

Same element simply took place to me, but with Disney+ and Hulu. It additionally has gotten worse when I restarted the Roku container. Now the Roku channel disappeared and can not be introduced here. Logging on my account, it confirmed that Disney+ and Roku have been set up.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

@SusanMy @yahet @Al-P 

All of your issues may very well be related to a RokuOS firmware (or library component) update.

It might be most useful if you all stated from Settings/System/About:

1) Model # (not name)

2) Software version+build

3) Device ID

4) Serial #

@RokuDanny-R  There have been very recent reports of app loading failure/problems for the 42xx series - please forward these to firmware engineering.

Otherwise, all of you should try the following:

Known solutions/workarounds for apps not loading/closing to Home:

1) Check for updates: Settings/System/System updates/Check now - try again

2) Change your Theme to the Roku Default: Settings/Theme/Restore default theme - try again

3) Change your Screensaver to a Roku clock: Settings/Theme/Screensavers - try again

4) Remove SD card (if installed) - try again

5) Remove app, RESTART ROKU: Settings/System/System restart/Restart, Add app - try again

6) Network connection reset: Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Network connection reset - try again

7) Completely unplug power from Roku for 10-15 minutes - try again

8) Factory reset: Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Factory reset <--- last resort

NOTE for #5: Do not remove the YouTube TV app - you will not get the app back until the end of the dispute

SusanMy
Level 7

Thanks for your detailed advice. My device specs are as follows:

model #: 4210X - Roku 2

software version: 10.0.0

build: 4209.04

device ID: I couldn’t find this in System/About

serial #: 5F35C3049602

It turns out I was wrong in thinking that the Roku updated the other day. It actually hasn’t updated since June 30th. Did the “check now” and got the message, “All software is up to date.”

I followed instructions 1 through 7 on your list, to no avail. I really don’t want to deal with the inconvenience of a factory reset only to find that that doesn’t work, either. The guests in my Airbnb are on a separate Roku 2 but aren’t having these problems with it (thank goodness). But now I’m worried that that one will eventually start behaving like mine. It’s pretty annoying that these devices are crapping out after only about three years of use; reminds me of my Apple devices, which I’m convinced have an unofficial “self-destruct after 5 years” protocol.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

@SusanMy 

I understand the hesitation/reticence to do a Factory Reset (I would avoid/wait on it too).

In the meantime, might be worthwhile to consider (temporarily) replacing the 6 year old 4210 with the $30 Express 4K+ or the $80 Ultra for your guests (you can decide to keep it or return it afterwards).

0 Kudos
SusanMy
Level 7

We’re on the same wavelength — I was checking out the newer Roku players last night and wondering if the Express 4K+ would be the right one for my TV, which is an older model that has HD, but that’s about it. The Airbnb TV is a little newer, about 4 years old.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

@SusanMy 

If you dont need ethernet (wired) right away, go with the $30 Express 4K+ (you can get a USB>Ethernet adapter for it).

If you need ethernet (wired) right away, go with the $80 Ultra.

0 Kudos