Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roksbox Cloud Broke

Just checking if any has experienced this, I open the Roksbox Cloud app and it closes after a few seconds back to Roku home screen. I have used it for years and never experienced this before. I was going to uninstall and reinstall but, the link to the Private channel does not work "https://owner.roku.com/add/CU2SC[/color][/url:2n8d5vvj].".  I also went to the Roksbox site to try a...
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roksbox Cloud Broke

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

Channels such as this are non-certified and are not supported by Roku as they do not go through the channel certification process, and do not appear in our channel store.  

If you need assistance with a private channel, you will need to reach out to the channel publisher directly for more information and assistance. 

Thanks,
Danny
Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I purchased Roksbox for Google Drive, which IS available from the channel store, on Nov. 3rd. I was able to stream my personal videos from my Google Drive account until a view days ago. Now, I can navigate my Google Drive folders and find my videos, but when I try to play one, Roksbox crashes and jumps back to the Roku home screen. How do l get this fixed? I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but it makes no difference.
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

Please make sure that you are restarting your device after removing the channel and before reinstalling. 

If the issue remains unresolved, I'd recommend reaching out to the channel provider directly to report the issue and request additional support. Many channels on the Roku platform is developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to best assist. 

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted

I just tried purchasing the app here and it wouldn't let me. It said there was "an unexpected problem." I'm surprised that this isn't a popular enough app to be ubiquitous. Please let us know what happens. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

As a follow up to my original problem:

Through some experimentation I discovered the issue is caused by a limitation in Roksbox. It cannot handle more than six sub-folders on Google drive. I have a number of videos and organizing them required 7 sub-folders on my Google Drive. Google Drive handles this just fine, but when trying to play something from Roksbox, it will let me see the 7th folder contents, but when I try to play the videos in that level, it crashes and returns to the Roku main screen.  I was able to consolidate some things and get it down to 6 sub-folders and then everything is fine.  During the process, I also discovered that the "crash and return to the Roku main screen" is the way Roksbox deals with most any problem it encounters. Since there is not much documentation and no way to contact the channel provider that I could find, I guess it is just trial and error to figure this out. I do like the general concept of what Roksbox is doing, it just needs a little more support!

Highlighted

Thanks for that. I'm currently waiting to find out from Roku why I can't buy the app. We'll see what they say.

As for your problem: do you mean it won't play from 7 subfolders deep in one folder (7 recursive layers) or a total of 7 subfolders spread out (for example, if I have three folders that split three layers deep each, it wouldn't play because that would be a total of 9)?

I also read that one problem with Roksbox for Google Drive is that it only plays MP4 files. It won't play mkv or wmv, etc. Is that correct?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I am talking about 7 recursive layers is the problem, and the problem ONLY effects the video(s) at that level, any others will play fine, but if you go into a seventh level and try to play a video there, it will crash Roksbox and you have to restart it. The structure you described (three folders split into 3 layers each) should work fine.  I am far from done, but I currently have 5 folders and each has 6 layers and everything is fine.

I had no problem purchasing Roksbox, in fact I purchased the Google Drive version first, and after finding this issue, I purchased the Extreme version hoping that resolved the issue, but it did not. I had no problems with purchasing either version.

As for the container issue, I use .mp4 almost exclusively, but I added an .mkv and a .wmv to test for you and the .mwv will not play, but the .mkv is fine. Which is interesting because the Roksbox FAQ shows compatable formats are mp4, mov, m4v, wmv and does not mention .mkv. No help is available from Roksbox that I can find. The help information says to go to the Roku forum for help, but as you saw, Roku tells us to go to Roxbox for help!

As I mentioned earlier, this app is a good concept, but it needs someone to support it that we can contact!

Highlighted
Level 8

FYI: If you are planning to use the .XML feature for details about each video, it does not seem to support the director, actor and genre fields as described in the FAQ. The other fields work OK.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Another FYI: I just discovered the Roksbox search function does not work either. When I select search, it goes to a blank screen and the only way out is to press the Roku home button on the remote. 

0 Kudos