Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrTibs
Reel Rookie

Rocks Channel is unreliable while traveling

I am traveling in Aruba from the USA with my 4K Roku streaming stick.  I have "evecelent" Wifi connection and premium services like Netflix and Hulu work perfectly. However, Roku Channel content play is unreliable.   Sometime I need to press over 20 times to load and play content on the Roku channel.   Once playing all is working fine.  Any Ideas on how to correct this.? Thanks

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Rocks Channel is unreliable while traveling

@MrTibs 

Is it only within the app that the issue occurs? Or do you have to do that to even launch the app?

Does scrolling work well? Is it *only* when you attempt to play content that there is an issue?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
MrTibs
Reel Rookie

The Roku Channel App starts right up and shows all the content without issue.  It happens when I select and try to play/stream the content.    I was trying to watch "Leave it to Beaver".  It just loops back to play where I press play again on the remote.  After about 20+ cyclys like this it random plays perfectly.  My wifi connect is reported on the Roku as excellent.    Hulu and Netflix work perfectly.    Thank for look at this. 

0 Kudos
MilesT
Roku Guru

I suspect the technical reason is Roku channel and Netflix (etc) use different Content Delivery Networks (CDN) (or different level of service with same CDN) to technically deliver the data to the end user device.

CDN usually cache (copies) the video data closer (from a physical/network viewpoint) to the end user.  This will matter more on an island some distance from a mainland, less incoming bandwidth to the country as a whole.

Netflix etc. more likely to have their data already in/close to where you are. Roku is less popular and spends less so probably does have not their data close to you.  Hence doesn't stream as well.

Probably not much you can do about that.

Not a Roku employee