Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drphibes13
Level 7

[Resolved] Spotify September 10th update crashes Roku

Spotify pushed an update today that crashes/freezes Roku until it reboots on its own altogether on my Roku Stick+
I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the channel, but still no luck. Anyone else having this same issue with the September 10th update?
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Spotify September 10th update crashes Roku

Thanks for letting us know what you are seeing. Have you contacted Spotify support to report the issue you are seeing with their channel (app) on the Roku platform? 

After removing the channel from the Roku home screen, make sure to restart your device from Settings>System>System restart before adding the channel back again. 

If you are still observing the issue, please try checking for system update from Settings>System>System update 

Please feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your device from Settings>System>About if still unresolved, and I'll help pass your feedback along to the channel provider. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
swalk3r
Level 7

I am seeing this as well. I have a Roku 3/4200X with software 9.1.0 build 4919-04. I deleted Spotify, restarted the Roku, and reinstalled Spotify and get the same issue: try to open Spotify and the Roku restarts.
drphibes13
Level 7

Thanks, everyone. Spotify has already pushed out another update, and the issue seems to be resolved now.
0 Kudos
muhcrackin
Level 7

Re: [Resolved] Spotify September 10th update crashes Roku

I'm seeing this same issue today; Spotify crashes the Roku any time you try to open it.

I've tried the following a few times now:

1. Uninstalled the Spotify app

2. Restarted the Roku

3. Reinstalled the Spotify app (tried both from the device and from channelstore.roku.com)

3900X Roku Express 9.1.0 (build 4919-51)
Spotify 2.7 (build 16)

Anyone else still seeing this issue?
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for letting us know what you're seeing here. A couple questions: 

- How many channels are currently installed on your device? 
- Have you tried removing some unused channels and seeing if this clears up the issue? 
- Have you tried checking for a system update in Settings>System>system update>Check now to see if this resolves the issue? 
- Are all other channels working correctly on your device? 

Please keep us posted from there!

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
muhcrackin
Level 7

Thanks for the quick reply!

Unaware that it was just Spotify at first, I actually did a complete factory reset before finding this forum.
There are currently only 3 channels: Netflix, YouTube, and Spotify. Both Netflix and YouTube work fine.
There are no updates available.
0 Kudos
Badder2
Level 7

I am having the same issue.

Roku software version 9.1.0 build 4919-29
Spotify version 2.7 build 16

Have tried all tips above. Still crashes and reboots when I try and load from Roku and when I use Spotify connect.
daddygeek123
Level 7

I am also having this issue yesterday and today. Any attempt to use Spotify crashes the Roku Express +.
0 Kudos
swalk3r
Level 7

"swalk3r" wrote:
I am seeing this as well. I have a Roku 3/4200X with software 9.1.0 build 4919-04. I deleted Spotify, restarted the Roku, and reinstalled Spotify and get the same issue: try to open Spotify and the Roku restarts.

This issue is now resolved for me, at least. Seems to be working fine again.
0 Kudos