Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zanna
Level 7

[Resolved] - Can't Run Channel Error Message - Roku Express

Hi All,
After a power outtage my Roku Express shows this message in a purple box - "Can't Run Channel" (Title of whatever channel I click) could not be run because there is not enough space. Please remove one or more of your installed channels and try again. To remove a channel focus the channel and press *.... I completely unplugged my device/waited about 15 minutes/plugged everything back in - no luck, same error message. I deleted any superfluous channels (I only use about 7 or 8 channels in total) - no luck, same error message. Ironically, I have the same 2018 Insignia TV with the same 2018 Roku Express set up in another room with NO problems.

Any advice as to how I can get my Roku and TV to be "friends" again would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: Can't Run Channel Error Message - Roku Express

"Zanna" wrote:
Hi All,
After a power outtage my Roku Express shows this message in a purple box - "Can't Run Channel" (Title of whatever channel I click) could not be run because there is not enough space. Please remove one or more of your installed channels and try again. To remove a channel focus the channel and press *.... I completely unplugged my device/waited about 15 minutes/plugged everything back in - no luck, same error message. I deleted any superfluous channels (I only use about 7 or 8 channels in total) - no luck, same error message. Ironically, I have the same 2018 Insignia TV with the same 2018 Roku Express set up in another room with NO problems.

Any advice as to how I can get my Roku and TV to be "friends" again would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much.

This was happening recently for some Roku Express models. Course of action recommended was to force an update via the menu. If that didn't work, next recommended was a full factory reset (which, yeah, is a PITA). Perhaps your device didn't get the glitch until just now. Don't know if you have it powered by the power supply, or a USB port from the TV. If the latter, that could explain why it didn't get the update that had the bug, and the power outage somehow contributing to it being downloaded. Forcing a subsequent update may fix it, as others found.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the tips, @DBDukes !

@Zanna - Please visit Settings>System>System update>Check now. This should update your device and resolve the issue you're seeing. If not, please let us know and we'll continue assisting from there. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Zanna
Level 7

Hi Again,
I tried updating the system through the Roku settings as per your instructions - nope...no change, I still get the dreaded "Can't Run Channel" purple box. I have my Roku connected via an HDMI port...just like my identical Roku/TV set up in another room. That Roku/TV hasn't had any problems nor has my 3rd older Roku/TV setup.

The power outage lasted only a second, but I just assumed the two events were connected. Ughhh!! Any further advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much,
Zanna
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"Zanna" wrote:
Hi Again,
I tried updating the system through the Roku settings as per your instructions - nope...no change, I still get the dreaded "Can't Run Channel" purple box. I have my Roku connected via an HDMI port...just like my identical Roku/TV set up in another room. That Roku/TV hasn't had any problems nor has my 3rd older Roku/TV setup.

The power outage lasted only a second, but I just assumed the two events were connected. Ughhh!! Any further advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much,
Zanna

There has been a bug with the Express that's caused this issue. Some reporting the issue have not said explicitly it was the Express, but everyone on this forum or Reddit that has reported the issue and told which device said it was the Express. Roku does know about it, and so far, the only solution has been to manually force an update or do a factory reset. It has cleared up for most users, from what I can tell, after repeated attempts to do one or the other.

One point, though. You mentioned the Roku is connected via HDMI. Well, yeah. The Express connects that way only, which makes me think you're confusing HDMI with USB. Roku Express uses USB for power, connected to either the included power supply, or to the USB port on TVs. For the actual video output from Roku to TV, HDMI is the way the Express connects. Does that bit of info change anything?
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Zanna 

It's possible that a power outage may have affected your device, if the power supply wasn't connected to a surge protector. I know it may not be the most convenient option, but I would recommend performing a factory reset on the device, then seeing if the issue persists. Remember that this will clear all data from your device and reset it fully. 

You can see the steps for this here: https://support.roku.com/article/208757008-how-do-i-factory-reset-my-roku-streaming-device-

If that still isn't helping clear things up, please PM me with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your device from Settings>System>About and I'll have a member of our Support team get in touch. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Zanna
Level 7

Hi Again,
Bad News: I could not find a reset button on the Roku Express remote to perform the factory reset.
Good News: I took the batteries out of the remote to look for the factory reset button, replaced them when I still couldn't find it - then on a whim tried the Roku. Eureka!! I clicked on a random channel, it reloaded then played perfectly...

Can anyone tell me why removing the batteries apparently reset the Roku?

Thanks so much for all the help!
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"Zanna" wrote:
Hi Again,
Bad News: I could not find a reset button on the Roku Express remote to perform the factory reset.

On the back of the Express, there is an HDMI port. To the left of it is the USB port for power. To the left of it is the pinhole button labeled "Reset." Paper clips work good for that. Don't use an ink pen, as the residual ink can cause problems.
"Zanna" wrote:
Good News: I took the batteries out of the remote to look for the factory reset button, replaced them when I still couldn't find it - then on a whim tried the Roku. Eureka!! I clicked on a random channel, it reloaded then played perfectly...

Can anyone tell me why removing the batteries apparently reset the Roku?...

Coincidence. Taking the batteries out does nothing. The remote is an IR remote, not a WiFi Direct remote, so there is no pairing of the remote to the device in any way at all. Taking the batteries out simply means it can't send an IR signal when you press a button. Not pressing a button does the same thing. It's merely a coincidence.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Zanna
Level 7

Thanks for the help/info DBDukes - not happy to hear the battery change was not related to the Roku "fix" - I'm assuming that means it could shut down again at any time...Ughhh!!
I did find the pinhole button - I didn't realize you meant it was located on the Express itself, not the remote (yup...seriously embarrassed).

Again, many thanks to everyone here on the Roku Forum!
Zanna
0 Kudos