Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repeated picture blanking of DIRECTVNOW on Roku Ultra

This blanking issue recurs randomly. The period of blackness can last from 3 -15 seconds and can occur once an hour or once every 3 minutes, and anywhere in between. My Internet connection is 150 MB/sec and I use a cat 6+ Ethernet cable connection. My TV is a Samsung JS8500, and the blanking occurs whether in 4k or 2k mode. Repeated comments about this on the AT&T DIRECTVNOW forum led nowhere. After the Roku 8.0 update, the blanking persists.
All HDR settings are off. Changing Roku advanced settings to either 4.2.2 or 4.2.0 makes no difference. Premium Audioquest HDCP 2.2 HDMI 2.0 18Gb/sec versus a generic cable of identical specs makes no difference.
Blanking can occur on a cold Roku unit or on one that's been on for hours. The HDMI input used in the TV is HDCP 2.2 certified.
All of this tells me this is a Roku hardware or firmware issue interfacing with DIRECTVNOW. This is verified by the fact that when I replace the Roku unit with an Amazon Fire Stick, blanking never occurs on DIRECTVNOW with the same inputs and same cabling.
Will the engineers at Roku please put their heads together with the guys at AT&T to figure out what is going on?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
fanorama
Level 7

Re: Repeated picture blanking of DIRECTVNOW on Roku Ultra

I never had a single blanking issue with my Roku 3. Never once. But when I got a Roku Premiere+, the blanking started. Roku sent me a replacement unit, but the blanking still occurs. I even tried buying a new high quality HDMI cable, but it still happens.
0 Kudos
Lgb0250
Level 7

Re: Repeated picture blanking of DIRECTVNOW on Roku Ultra

I get it occasionally on my Streaming Stick too. Probably 3-10 sec when it happens.
0 Kudos